bigbrown

devcon epoxy

I use the Devcon long drying epoxy to clearcoat. Usually one thick coat is all you need. If you do need a second coat you can put it on right over the first coat after the first coat has dried. You can use a model paint brush to apply it and you can cleanup with acetone, MEK, or any other type of lacquer thinner. A coat of Devcon carries some weight to it. It is a resin based epoxy. If you weight your lures close then two coats may make the bait slowly sink. You may have to adjust your weight. If you apply Devcon above 70 deg. then you can apply it and spin the lure slowly to even it out for about 20 min. and then hang the lure to dry. For every 5 deg. below 70 add 10 more min. of spinning before you hang it or it may sag.

Skeeter

bigbrown,

best bet is the longer drying devcon 2 ton (30min or longer). the 5 min. devcon has a working time of only about a minute and you'll only end up with a big mess. i found some devcon 2 ton (30 min) at discountrocketry.com it's like $13 for 9 oz of each part a and b. hope this helps and even though you are anxious to finish the lure and clear coating it, I would wait until you get the longer drying epoxy. trust me on this it will be well worth it.

Bigbrown, you really need to follow Richoc's advice. I learned the hard way that the 5-minute Devcon will yellow in a matter of HOURS in the sunlight, not days or weeks. This was on a topwater bait I had painted in a beautiful Pearl White color......left it sittin' on the front deck of the boat, and by the end of the day, one side was more of a nice, golden brown. Great for fried chicken, terrible for Pearl White topwaters!!

The double barrel syringes of 2-Ton are in every Wal Mart I've ever been in, check the paints section. $1.97 a pop, and that will do quite a few lures. HAVE FUN!!!

thanks guys, i did go buy some two ton, at first i was scared when the color of one of the tubes was yellow but i did a few lures and i like it alot better than five minute because it dries smoother and you have alot more time to get it on as even as possible my lures turned out awesome, thanks,

bigbrown

Yea what's with Wal-Mart and their continuous low supply of Devcon. I always remind the guy to reorder for me and still find the shelf empty at times. The trick is to buy every tube they have when it comes in. Wish we could get the stuff in tubes that were much larger.....say 5 times the size of those we currently buy.

jed