FishinMoose

1st Post Introduction/question

Hi Guys,

I have surfed here on and off for about a year, great site. I have been painting crankbaits for about 6mos now and a friend has asked me to repaint a few Junior D cranks for him. This bait has reflective/prism type side coloring on the bait, very similar to the Megabass Ito jerkbaits. Can anyone give me any tips on duplicating this color? This color is not the color he wants but this is to give you an idea of the coloring I am talking about along the sides of the bait. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

picmbtrickdarter02.jpg

Hi Guys,

I have surfed here on and off for about a year, great site. I have been painting crankbaits for about 6mos now and a friend has asked me to repaint a few Junior D cranks for him. This bait has reflective/prism type side coloring on the bait, very similar to the Megabass Ito jerkbaits. Can anyone give me any tips on duplicating this color? This color is not the color he wants but this is to give you an idea of the coloring I am talking about along the sides of the bait. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are few if any airbrush paints with similar reflectivity at any reasonable price so I'd be thinking about foil if you want flashy sides. I use Brite-bak silver foil because it has good flash, can be textured to look like scales, is strong but thin, and is easy to use with its adhesive backing. It is manufactured for stained glass artists.

Edited by BobP

Thank you. Do you know of anywhere on line that I might be able to look that?

Just google the name that Bob gave you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1004&bih=630&q=Brite-bak+silver+foil+&aq=f&aqi=m1&aql=&oq=

FYI....be aware that this method will add a lot of weight to the lure. Foil + epoxy + Paint + TC = no bueno for suspenders... If you are painting a crankbait with lots of bouyancy then its fine and if you are painting a sinker then its fine. BUT if your painting a suspending lure it will be a sinker once your finished. It will not suspend unless you drill out some ballast to compensate for the added weight and this can be tricky.

Edited by Matt Moreau

Thanks again guys. ordered some from Amazon.com

I am going to try to only add a small strip along the sides of the lure rather than doing the whole thing like a foiled bait. If I can't get a smooth enough finish with it I will just do something with a paint mix and try to come close.

You can also Google "holographic tape" or "holographic foil". Some of it has a 3D effect and shows different colors at different viewing angles. One way to get a smooth seam where you apply the tape is to put a layer of your preferred top coat on the bait after applying the foil, but before painting. This helps level out the edges of the tape and gives a smooth finish for the paint to be applied to.