raywillett

Propionate Problems

Need help with propionate. I mixed 1oz with 16 oz acetone I purchased from Lowes a month ago and it still has not disolved. The pellets disolved about half way with in 3-5 days. I have shaken many times but the pellets will not completely disolve. I also have a 2oz. mix that has the same problem.

It could be any of three things that I can think of:

1 - something wrong with your acetone. You probably left the top off for a length of time. Acetone readily absorbs water from the atmosphere. This would probably slow down the dissolving ability of the acetone and is the most likely cause of your problem.

2 - your ambient temperature is very low. This will probably slow down the dissolve rate. I am only guessing here, as I live in a warm climate. Move the mix to your warmest room. DO NOT HEAT THE MIX :o

3 - your mix quantities were incorrect and the mix has reached saturation. Unlikely, but it can happen.

Solutions - other than moving the mix to a warm room, not much you can do. What you have so far is probably still usable, so decant both batches into a jar and use it. Do not dispose of the undissolved pellet sludge, this can be used again in your next batch.

Buy some fresh acetone.

You may be able to rescue your acetone, by adding 10 grams of dried Epsom salts to one litre of wet acetone and shake well. The salts will absorb the moisture and sink to the bottom, leaving dry acetone. To dry the Epsom salt, spread on a tray thinly and heat in an oven for 2 hours at 400 degrees.

I picked up this information off the web. I guess it could be possible to dry the mix that you currently have problems with, as a shot to nothing.

Dave

Well, there's really nothing to do except wait because nothing dissolves prop faster than acetone. As to how much should go in a pint of acetone, I frankly don't know the "perfect ratio". When I mixed my first batch, it was much too thick and some of the prop would not dissolve. That might be what is happening to yours. Since then, I only put a couple of rounded tablespoons in a pint of acetone. When yours has finally dissolved, check the viscosity. If it is thicker than milk, that's too thick and you will have problems with the prop not leveling out on the bait properly.

thanks for the replies. I have the batched currently in the garage and living in middle alabama they are in the warmest place. The acetone is a year old or so and at some point I sure I have left the cap off for some period of time. As for the ratio I mixed according to the directions I received with the propionate. Do you think it woould be helpful to crack the lid enough to allow the acetone to evapotate and then refill with new acetone.? thanks

thanks for the replies. I have the batched currently in the garage and living in middle alabama they are in the warmest place. The acetone is a year old or so and at some point I sure I have left the cap off for some period of time. As for the ratio I mixed according to the directions I received with the propionate. Do you think it woould be helpful to crack the lid enough to allow the acetone to evapotate and then refill with new acetone.? thanks

I would say no, because it will take forever for the acetone to evapourate and you will still be left with the water content. Pour what you have off the sludge into a new jar and use it. Add fresh acetone onto the sludge. For the sake of an ounce of pellets that you used, try the dried Epsom salt thing.

Google acetone epsom salts there are a lot of articles on the subject of drying acetone.

Dave