dochollow

Sexy Shad?

If you don't want a lateral line with sharp, crisp edges then you can tear a piece of the blue painters tape in half lengthwise and then space the two edges where you want the lateral line. Or if you have a Dremel tool you can take a cone shaped burr and cut a line in a piece of clear plastic. Just don't cut any deeper with the cone shaped burr than you want the width of your line to be.The burr will leave edges that aren't perfectly smooth and seem to look more realistic. To me anyway. And the stencil you just made out of clear plastic allows you to see exactly where your placing your lateral line and can be used over and over.

Or you can learn to freehand them. It's not that hard if you thin your paint, turn the air pressure down, restrict the amount of paint your shooting and have either a steady hand or some sort of clamp to hold your bait while you steady the airbrush with both hands.

Edited by RayburnGuy

I don't think a straight lateral line looks very natural though the bass probably don't care. The original Sexy Shad patterns had light gray shoulders with the neon yellow accent shot immediately underneath the gray, which makes it easy to shoot freehand. The gray served as a buffer to separate the yellow and the blue on the back of the lure. If you shoot yellow on top of blue, you get green.

i use a highlighter to draw it on... then heat set. however, i've found that DN topcoat will make this line vanish. so normally i have to reapply the line in between coats of dn. i know it is some extra work, but the highlighter seems to give me the best chartreuse line color. Also, I like my chart line to not be quite as intense as most lures (it looks good over foil).

P5230964.JPG

P5230964.JPG

P5230964.JPG

P5230964.JPG

P5230964.JPG

P5230964.JPG

P5230964.JPG

P5230964.JPG

post-17038-0-40830800-1308440657_thumb.jpg

Edited by A-Mac