FISHUNTER

How Far Baits Have Come..your Take?

So when you look at baits like these with high definition of detail and so forth.....do you guys feel this is a "better" bait to catch fish with .....or a better bait to catch fisherman with? Just curious of yalls thoughts.

Honestly? I think baits have come a long way in the last 5-10 yrs - but what counts to me is the build quality and the more consistent performance qualities of newer baits, not their paint jobs.

Edited by BobP

I love to paint natural schemes but recently I've been thinking we are probably off a bit. Why are fish colored the way they are? Usually to stay out of sight. You'll notice a lot of popular color schemes are close to natural but may be off a bit. It's probably that "offness" that makes it more appealing to the prey fish. I've just been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm not sure we are going the right way when we try to match a fish exactly. However, saying that, when we put a natural looking bait on a fishes nose it may be more appealing but still I think we catch fish with some of the more obvious paint schemes than the natural ones. I also believe, as was said above, that action catches many more fish than color schemes. That being said the I think most of the time color schemes are what probably catch the fishes attention first and then the action makes them bite. I don't know how many of you have read the book "Knowing Bass" but it is a great book. It really gets into the science of what bass see and hear and smell. It makes you think about all species when you read it even though it is specifically about bass. There are some things that are across the board such as light refraction and how far down certain colors are seen, that sort of thing. It also made me think about some of the red line claims that some of the companies made. In most water like they say red is only seen about a foot or two down. They claim that it becomes invisible after that. It is true that the red color isn't visible but that doesn't mean the line is invisible. If I paint myself red and jump in a lake, chances are you'll see all 215 pounds of me. :lol: Some claims that companies make are just funny. Fluorocarbon lines are the real deal but for different reasons. This is a long post. I hope it makes some sense. It's just my two cents anyway.

Catching fish on anything is basically just a mistake on the fishes part due to the impulses driving them .I have to say that lures today are works of art in there own way . The technology from plastics to crank baits and every thing in between is astounding . But my hat is off to the old timers that pioneered the lure industry . To those of you who still hand carve lures with patience , endurance and skill THANK YOU FOR KEEPING A TRADITION ALIVE .

I think the super realistic paint jobs catch fisherman for the most part. I think action is definitly the key. But with the advancement in tech the plastic baits now are crazy good. I am a die hard wood bait believer but luckycraft's BDS series of crankbaits are incredible. Body shape, action, hook size and location have all been optimized on baits like this. I almost always will choose a handmade woodbait(maybe im a bit biased B) ) over a mass produced lure but lures like the BDS series have made me a believer in technology.