B BUG

The Rockwell Blade Runner

Hey All, It has been a while since I have been here and I was wondering if anyone has had or used the Rockwell Blade Runner Saw to cut out baits? I have been thinking about a new saw and I saw this in Lowes,and had seen the infomercial on the tube and I am wondering how it is working. It looks slow for some of the things that they cut on the tv, however I normally cut balsa so that is not a problem.

Any input would be great. Thanks, Les

I just watched a couple of videos and I am impressed. I see it as a direct replacement for my cheapo table mounted band saw. The standard jigsaw blades are cheaper, readily available and a lot more robust than the bandsaw blade. When the bandsaw blade breaks, I have to change my underwear as well as the blade.

I particularly liked the speed and simplicity of changing blades, which is a major hassle with the bandsaw. When my bandsaw finally expires, I will be seriously considering replacing it with a blade runner, if I can find one locally.

Dave

IMHO its just an jig saw mounted upside down on a router table. I had one that I made with just a cheap walmart B&D jig saw it worked wonderful on balsa pine and ceder but when I used it with hard wood I would get off square cuts. And IMHO it looks like this (Rockwell Blade Runner) would give the same performance :blink:

go to google and type in Rockwell Blade Runner review and you will see that it is not highly recommended to do anything that it is advertised to do. I looked at it after watching the infomercial and tthought it looked like a decent tool!!

BlackJack - Thanks for the heads up. I read five review sites before I found any negative comments, but then the truth started to come out. Here is a link to a site with mixed reviewes: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=26863&max=999 I still think the tool would replace my bandsaw, as it too is incapable of tackling larger jobs. I think the problem is that people try to do too much with these machines. The sales videos do not help, but you should never believe those anyway.

The main issue is straight line cutting. If you try to cut too thick a work piece, the blade will flex, just like it does on the hand held version of this tool, the jigsaw. Like HilliBilly1 states, it is just an inverted jigsaw fixed to a table. As long as you stay within the limitations of a jigsaw, the tool should be fine.

Some kind of upper side blade guide similar to a bandsaw guide would probably have made a big improvement. In one of the reviews a guy actually addresses this issue with success. I am thinking two 6mm bearings. They would not have to be adjustable, unlike the bandsaw guides. I am now considering building my own version version, as HillyBilly1 has done, as the price tag is a bit steep for me. Even without the quick release blade mechanism, it will still be easier than changing blades on the bandsaw. Thanks Billy, for the idea.

Dave

I have been designing today.

This solution gives me 0.9" depth of cut with a short blade and 1.75" with a long blade.

The guide wheel located at the end of the blade should give much better stability, but introduces restrictions. it should perform better than my bandsaw, which I have grown to hate, so I will probably build this jigsaw table.

assyjigsawtableiso.jpg

closeup.jpg

Dave

great response, thanks. As I mentioned it would be only balsa that I would be cutting. And yes it does look like an upside down jig saw. It takes the some blades that my everyday jig saw uses, so that would be a plus. As for the price, it is a bit high, however I have little time to create a table to mount a saw to (this would take away from My fishing and building). Thanks for the info and places to check ratings. Les

great response, thanks. As I mentioned it would be only balsa that I would be cutting. And yes it does look like an upside down jig saw. It takes the some blades that my everyday jig saw uses, so that would be a plus. As for the price, it is a bit high, however I have little time to create a table to mount a saw to (this would take away from My fishing and building). Thanks for the info and places to check ratings. Les

As long as you are only cooking balsa and light woods, I am sure the machine will work fine for you. The machine has limitations, but now you know what they are, don't plan to cut 1/2" plate steel or 3/4" ceramic tiles and you will be fine.

Post up your own report on the product here on TU, I am sure lots of members would be very interested in what you have to say.

Dave

I built the table and posted it in the homebrew tool section, figuring that I had hijacked this thread enough.

As a result of this experience, I would not spend money on the Rockwell unless I had an opportunity to try out the machine for myself first. There are definately issues that need addressing.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Has anyone purchased a Rockwell Bladerunner for cuuting out bodies yet? I've went to Lowes like 4 times in the past week trying to decide on purchasing one just cutting out balsa. They have them on sale for $149.99 and I have $25.00 gift card that is burning a whole in my pocket. I have 2 band saws and a scrow saw but the dang blades get on my nerves!!!!

I'm thinking using a 20TPI Bosch blade in this machine.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Update on the Blade Runner!

It is a fantastic deal for cutting out baits! Nice smooth, clean cut edges. It actually prevented some of the normal sanding because it cuts so clean. You can cut very sharp angles with ease. I have cut a ton of baits on 1 blade. The wall mount is very handy.

I was using a bandsaw before. Needless to say it is collected dust literally.