blazt*

Fluorocarbon Diving Bills?

Given the low vis and high abrasion resistance of fluoro you'd think there would be bills made from it by now. I assume the reason is probably low mechanical strength - or maybe cost - but what if you were to melt down some used line and give the front end a dip? Seems like this would reduce visibility at least some, much like Yo Zuri Hybrid or Floroclear.

I'm doubting a fluorocarbon lip would be less noticeable than one made from polycarbonate, and I'm pretty sure it would be less durable - especially a home brew version. I think the perceived size of a bait is an issue but on the other hand, there are an increasing number of deep divers with big lips made from G-10 circuit board these days and they seem to catch fish. And the G-10 does have distinct performance advantages. It makes me think that if it moves like something alive and is small enough to fit in a bass's mouth, they'll bite it.

Polycarbonate is really tough stuff. After all, the Lexan brand of polycarbonate was invented by GE in WWII to make fighter aircraft canopies.

I'm doubting a fluorocarbon lip would be less noticeable than one made from polycarbonate, and I'm pretty sure it would be less durable - especially a home brew version. I think the perceived size of a bait is an issue but on the other hand, there are an increasing number of deep divers with big lips made from G-10 circuit board these days and they seem to catch fish. And the G-10 does have distinct performance advantages. It makes me think that if it moves like something alive and is small enough to fit in a bass's mouth, they'll bite it.

Polycarbonate is really tough stuff. After all, the Lexan brand of polycarbonate was invented by GE in WWII to make fighter aircraft canopies.

Lexan was developed by DR. Daniel Fox as a result of an experimental wire insulation, It was also invented in germany the same year by BAYER

They both applied for the US patent atthe same time thats why the patent for it is about 50 pgs long and GE and BAYER share the rights. Most bullet proof windows in armored vehicles ar made from a product called LEXGAURED Wich is a combination of layers of polycarb with an outter glass shell. If you use strait polycarb exposed to the elemnts it will scratch,dull and fade quickly and looses it transparentness very quickly when exposed to the enviroment.

Polycarb is some fun stuff, if you notice the cloudy edge you get after you cut a piece of it you can simple take a propane tourch and heat it just a touch and it will turn back clear.;)