RickJames

Best Rtv For The Money?

Hey guys,

Just was looking for some opinions on the best RTV for the money? Ive been using Alumilite and really like it but it seems pricy to me. Its not mad when your making smaller lures but when you make a 10" musky lure and need 4lbs of rtv at $29 a lbs. it gets a little expensive for me. The nice thing about the Alumilite is you dont need a vaccuum , which i do not have anyways. Thanks for any suggestions, Rick

Hey guys,

Just was looking for some opinions on the best RTV for the money? Ive been using Alumilite and really like it but it seems pricy to me. Its not mad when your making smaller lures but when you make a 10" musky lure and need 4lbs of rtv at $29 a lbs. it gets a little expensive for me. The nice thing about the Alumilite is you dont need a vaccuum , which i do not have anyways. Thanks for any suggestions, Rick

I ordered some RTV from www.hobbysilicone.com @ $29 + $11.99 shipping for a 2lb kit IMHO its just as good as the Alumilite High Strength TAP's is $23 + $10 and some change shipping for 1lb kit. The only draw back with hobby's is the shipping takes a little longer than I like.

As for the vac. I use a 5 gal bucket and sit the mixed RTV (in a smaller container) in the bucket and use weather stripping around the lid and put a peace of lexan over it with a hole and suck it out with a shop vac. works good for small 2-4lb jobs.

Edited by hillbilly1

I ordered some RTV from www.hobbysilicone.com @ $29 + $11.99 shipping for a 2lb kit IMHO its just as good as the Alumilite High Strength TAP's is $23 + $10 and some change shipping for 1lb kit. The only draw back with hobby's is the shipping takes a little longer than I like.

As for the vac. I use a 5 gal bucket and sit the mixed RTV (in a smaller container) in the bucket and use weather stripping around the lid and put a peace of lexan over it with a hole and suck it out with a shop vac. works good for small 2-4lb jobs.

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into it and I like the vaccuum Idea too! I will definitely give that a try. Thanks again, RIck

I do something similar for removing bubbles from plaster molds and it works, but never thought it would work for RTV. I will definately try it out next time. Thanks.

Dave

Rick,

I buy it in bulk. 165 bucks for 10 LBS of RTV. Only 16 bucks per pound. Molds will only last you about 40 to 50 casts so you will need extra anyway and in the long run you save over buying the smaller amount.

Thanks again everyone, I like the half off at Hobby Lobby ;)

Rookie- Thanks..loI I was actually just crunching the #'s and I do think that will be the route I will be taking. Its alot of money but at half the price you cant beat it. Also I live near Alumilite Factory so regular ground shipping is next day for me which makes it nice because Im impatient. haha. A little off topic but Im new to the molds/casting thing and was curious how you know when the mold is no longer good anymore? 40-50 casts then it starts to crumble/crack? Thanks again, Rick