Vodkaman

Barrel Twist Jig

This is a jig that I have been meaning to build for some time, but ideas work on a different schedule to desires.

I am fairly happy with the jig. It is easier and faster than winding by hand, but not as fast as I was hoping for, at least two per minute.

There is room for improvement in the design, but this was the first attempt. The uprights need bracing, a bit rickety as they are. The wire retainer plate mechanism needs redesigning, to eliminate the screwdriver operation. I was hoping for a tidier eye, but that did not work out as planned.

The initial plan was to load the wire from the rear, but with the twisting, this turned out to be both messy and dangerous, with a couple of feet of wire flapping around. It turned out to be more efficient to load the wire from the front and feed the bulk of the wire from the side. The jig is efficient, with very little waste.

The jig looks cumbersome, but a turn of the vice crank and the jig stores under the bench, out of the way. As it is, the jig will easily fill my needs, so I doubt that I will take the design any further.

Dave

• Like 1

That's awesome Dave. :yay: Much easier and faster than doing it by hand. I can see one of those in my future. Thanks for sharing.

Ben

Thanks Ben. Contact me before you build, I may be able to help with plans and improvements.

Here is a simple jig for those that prefer the haywire twist. I actually built this for another purpose, but it works really well.

Dave

Thanks Ben. Contact me before you build, I may be able to help with plans and improvements.

Here is a simple jig for those that prefer the haywire twist. I actually built this for another purpose, but it works really well.

Dave

What type of changes would you suggest from the design in the video. I have watched it several times and plan to build something.

The twisting wire pulls at the uprights, so the first mod would be to stiffen the uprights, with maybe ply fillets.

The second mod would be the pivot plate. As it is, it cuts up my thumb with its sharp edges. I would make it bigger, to get more leverage and round all the edges to protect my thumb.

Apart from these changes, I am happy with it. I've only used it in one session, when I made about 150 pieces, still using them.

Dave

A cheap DC cart motor and a couple limit switches might make for a faster machine. (load/zip/cut/zip/load) Actually a cart motor would be overkill, but they are relatively cheap. The only "major" refinement I see in your basic machine would be to point the end of the hook loop slightly and make sure the point is centered. This might make for a slightly straighter twist.

Nothing wrong with loading the wire from the rear if its on a spool where you can spool it off an axle. Not sure how you would prevent it from twisting back to the spool, but I trust you could figure it out. Hmmm... wire guides at the front of the jig so all the twisting is firmly restricted to the wire in front of the block. Not sure if your current rig already does that or not.

Very nice work. I am always impressed with your ingenuity VMan.

The biggest improvement I could see is a totally different "hook" design. Maybe a locking plier or screw vise type tip with a pin in one jaw and a hole in the other to hold the eye of the twist flat.

Edited by Bob La Londe

Good points Bob.

I tried to keep it simple for the first design, but the eye does need dressing after forming. The use of some kind of clamp to help form the eye might work, but would take longer to set up than straightening the eye manually.

I did consider a motor drive, even a geared chain drive, but the one to one hand crank is so fast anyway. Once the wire is set up, you can really spin that crank.

The rear spool would not work, as you identified the problem, the wire twists with the crank.

If I were to design another build, the main problem to address would be the hook, in order to get a better formed eye without dressing.

Good to get feedback and ideas.

Dave