Matador Customs

New Guy On The Slammer

i recently started building my own swimbaits and had some good luck so far. right now im working on an ms slammer type replica. i hate to copy other peoples lures

but im interested and attracted to this type of lure.has anyone attempted this feat before and came out succesful? i would like to know some basic stuff like total lenght, lenght of segments, and

of course ballast placement.

i recently started building my own swimbaits and had some good luck so far. right now im working on an ms slammer type replica. i hate to copy other peoples lures

but im interested and attracted to this type of lure.has anyone attempted this feat before and came out succesful? i would like to know some basic stuff like total lenght, lenght of segments, and

of course ballast placement.

Hello,

Its not too difficult to build. I would use a light wood like cedar or poplar....maybe basswood. You want it to be buoyant as its obviously a wake bait. No two weigh the same really because they're built from wood. The slammers are good productive baits but this design was predated by the ac minnow which was predated by ....well you get it. The slammer tail is maybe unique and you can play with the tail options. The key is to get everything cut and laid up straight. Use lexan for the bill as acrylic will break. Play with the bill angle too, I like some at 45 degrees for more wobble and 90 degrees for a real water pusher. The slammers at about a 75 degree angle.

Have fun.

JK

It is pretty hard to screw up a slammer bait. The toughest thing is the lip placement. No balast needed either. The weight of the hooks and hangers will take care of it. I used popular and had a guy turn them on a lathe to get the right shape. Although an easy bait to build it still takes time. The problem with building/painting topwaters is nobody ever looses them so its hard to make some $$ working on them. I'm still throwing an original slammer I bought 6 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time guys. My version of the slammer

Is just about complete. I primed it yesterday joined it and took it for a soak in the bath tub, not ideal i know. I put on all the hardware and and started to do some sweeps across the tub. It floats fine ofcourse but didnt swim

At all. I ended up taping 1/16 split shots to the front and rear close to the joints and added more until it began

To swim in a decent S motion. Still more testing to come.