Hehhna

I Need Help!

First of all, I am new to this forum and I just wanna say hi to everyone. I'm gonna rely on you guys for a lot of information and help so I might as well get to know you guys. This is my story.

I started fishing about 4 months ago, and I fell in love with it. Im 17 years old, and I would really like to start making my own tackle. Its not really for saving money, but I don't have any hobbies besides my new found love for fishing. I have done some research on making lures and everyone loves doing it that does it. I just need to know how to start out and simple tips would be awesome. I don't have a huge income but I do have a lot of my dads stuff I can use. Anyhow, I need to know simple stuff. Assume I'm an idiot and need details haha. Im really excited to start this. I have done some research but Im still new to it.

I need questions answered such as the following

Wood: What kind to use? What Dimensions and specifications of a typical lure would be awesome. A diagram of a lure would be really nice too if you guys know where I can find one.

Painting: What should I start to think about buying? An airbrush? I have absolutely no expierience in airbrushing but I would love to learn it. Air Compressor? I have an air compressor at my house but its pretty big (like a foot in diameter the tank is) Is that to big and powerful? Also, what kind of paint do I need?

Hooks: How should I attach the hooks? I know theres certain screws with like circles in them what are those called?

Bill: How do I install this on the lure? When should I install this?

Carving: How much is actually required? I know to get the basic shape you need to but how hard is that to do? Could it also be done by a power sanding machine and round it? How do you even carve wood?

Im in rough shape but ANY INFORMATION you can share with me is an amazing help. Again, I can't wait to get started but first I need to atleast know what I'm hoping to be doing. Thanks guys. Don't limit your answers to the questions above anything that helps me is great!

First of all welcome aboard, Second the search function will be your big brother a lot of the answers you seek will be there, its quicker than a post that could take a day for a reply. IMHO dont try to out pace yourself just take your time measurements and notes as often as you can. Do as much R&D as you can stand. Theirs a ton of info and vids.on the web about air brushing, carving and just about any other aspect of the art "I mean art some of the guys here just blow my mind" The main thing is have fun and dont get discouraged after all 90% of us on here are still learning ourselves.

Ok now down to brass tacks

Q "What Dimensions and specifications"

A "a google search will give you a lot of the info on certain type baits from length to weight"

Q "What should I start to think about buying? An airbrush?"

A "That will be determined by you if you want to go all in and get a air brush or do rattle can to start off with Iv seen a lot of good work done out of a can" second any compressor that will hold air will work just be sure to install (if not installed) a pressure regulator between the compressor and the air hose with the right fittings of course.

Q "How should I attach the hooks"

A "a lot of guys use the screw eyes some bend or twist wire and I use cotter pins that I doctor with score marks to hold them in"

Q "Bill: How do I install this on the lure?"

A "Some use slots cut in to the bait and glued in some use metal lips with screw" for the slot or any other peace of hard ware cut or drill it before you round it, it make keeping everything strait and true. As for when IMHO that is the last thing I do no paint on the lip and no tape to remove.

Q "Carving: How much is actually required? I know to get the basic shape you need to but how hard is that to do? Could it also be done by a power sanding machine and round it? How do you even carve wood?"

A "That will be determined buy the bait profile you want, a flat side crank bait is just that flat with rounded edges or a DT type that dosent have any flat surfaces, Its not hard, the sub strait will determine the difficulty Balsa being the easy est to shape it can be done with a sharp knife and sand paper Basswood being next then pine and on and on. The weight of the wood will help you decide, if its lite its a softer wood if its heavy (with all being the same dimensions of the block) leave it alone its more work than you need but iv seen nice baits made from oak and maple. IMHO one of the best things to own is a hand held belt sander (clamped to a table) it makes the profiling of a bait easy just go slow and remember you can all ways take a little more off but its hard as a dickens to put it back.

In closing just be safe and have fun

• Like 2

Welcome aboard , mate , ........apart from thoroughly browsing this site you may also utilize Google and the search function of YouTube , type in terms like lurebuilding , luremaking , making wooden lures , making wobblers , making crankbaits , ...etc . , .......lots of material should be found in there as well .

There are also some books on luremaking available , if you're ready to spend some money on such , have a look in here :

http://www.tackleund...g-books-review/

good luck , diemai :yay:

1st off, Hi! Welcome to the "Dark Side"... Fishing itself is is quite addictive, but once you catch your first fish on a lure or soft plastic you made, poured or painted... WELLLL There isn't words to describe the feeling inside... I'm very very sure most of these ladies and gents on here would agree.

As to your questions, I would suggest establishing a feeling for the type of fishing your looking into. For example, Topwaters, Cranks, soft plastics, spinners, swimbaits. By far the easiest, and least expensive to start off with is topwaters. You can carve a topwater from just about anything that floats, Screw some small eyescrews in and attach hardware and fish. As far as Making cranks from scratch... There are some of the best builders and info on this forum that it will send your head reeling.

My thing is painting, and as a suggestion to that side, before jumping into airbrushing, try doing up a couple of lures using sharpies and believe it or not nail polish. They are inexpensive and will give you ideas on color combinations. Spray paints will do the jobs for a lot of lures also, but are hard for details without masking and the such. If you look in the gallery at hard baits you can find so many different styles of lures and paint schemes that you can get ideas from.

The best thing about this site is the info, ask questions, read the past topics and find your style. There's a lot of good folks on here that are more than willing to help and the knowledge base is only limited by your imagination.

Good Luck and Tight Lines, bb

1st off, Hi! Welcome to the "Dark Side"... Fishing itself is is quite addictive, but once you catch your first fish on a lure or soft plastic you made, poured or painted... WELLLL There isn't words to describe the feeling inside... I'm very very sure most of these ladies and gents on here would agree.

As to your questions, I would suggest establishing a feeling for the type of fishing your looking into. For example, Topwaters, Cranks, soft plastics, spinners, swimbaits. By far the easiest, and least expensive to start off with is topwaters. You can carve a topwater from just about anything that floats, Screw some small eyescrews in and attach hardware and fish. As far as Making cranks from scratch... There are some of the best builders and info on this forum that it will send your head reeling.

My thing is painting, and as a suggestion to that side, before jumping into airbrushing, try doing up a couple of lures using sharpies and believe it or not nail polish. They are inexpensive and will give you ideas on color combinations. Spray paints will do the jobs for a lot of lures also, but are hard for details without masking and the such. If you look in the gallery at hard baits you can find so many different styles of lures and paint schemes that you can get ideas from.

The best thing about this site is the info, ask questions, read the past topics and find your style. There's a lot of good folks on here that are more than willing to help and the knowledge base is only limited by your imagination.

I am actually mainly looking to make Cranks and Jerk baits. Things such as Lead jigs and such don't really fit my fancy because theres no finesse in it and work like carving a wooden lure. Plus you have to deal with lead which I know I would probably screw up. Anyhow, I am mainly focusing on Balsa Wood Cranks. I have heard their action is unmatched and they're relatively easy to carve out. Pouring my own worms will come later. What is your best info on making crankbaits.

OH and another thing is a ballast. How do you apply that to a lure, assuming all lures need them?

Balsa is a very easy wood to work with. Shapes easy and sands smooth. I would suggest starting with a medium sized crank with minimum details and experiment.... Lips you can make, but starting off I would just buy some of the inexpensive ones from a tackle building supplier. I would also suggest investing in a Dremmel tool. Wet/Dry sandpaper 180 to 400 grit in the least. and a inexpensive set of reading glasses, its amazing the details you miss with the naked eye.

Ballast? Yeah, you will need it... Installing it however depends on the baits size and design. There are other individuals on here that have it down to a science. I would type ballast into the search feature on here and just start reading. Also as diemai suggested I would look at youtube. there is all kinds of lure making videos on there including how and where to add ballast to a lure. All else fails, Look up Vodkamans or RayburnGuys post's. Vodkamans explanations are mind boggling but once you grasp the concept it will open up a whole world of possibilities. Good luck, bb