Mags

Making Cup In Wooden Popper Style Bait

I am going to make some balsa poppers and was wondering what is a good way to make the cup for the mouth of the bait? I would like to make quite a few, so somthing quick and repeatable is what I am looking for.

I use a burr for small poppers...

burr.jpg

There are quite a few different burrs out there, single cut, double cut or like above. I use the burr in the picture above because it was available to me.

The burr is around 25mm, but you can get smaller to suit your cup size. They make consistent cupped faces over and over, I use high RPM and the finish is good.

NB. These will mess you up if you slip...Work safe.

These have been created using the above burr.

FusilierSchool.jpg

YFTPop.jpg

Good luck

Another guy (like myself) who hates removing trebles from lively fish???????

Yes, singles are great for the fish and angler, I run barbless trebles if using a treble hook...They do a lot less damage.

Thanks. I'm guessing I can find these at a woodworking store? Do you put them in a Dremel?

I use my burrs in a jacobs chuck on my lathe...Burrs that will fit a dremel tool will be small, but it depends on how big your poppers will be. You can shape a mouth using a dremel and burr.

You can also use a "spade" bit. Round off the corners of the bit to achieve a nice profile and drill your blanks...

I use a burr for small poppers...

burr.jpg

There are quite a few different burrs out there, single cut, double cut or like above. I use the burr in the picture above because it was available to me.

The burr is around 25mm, but you can get smaller to suit your cup size. They make consistent cupped faces over and over, I use high RPM and the finish is good.

NB. These will mess you up if you slip...Work safe.

These have been created using the above burr.

Those burrs come in different "grits" so make you pay attention to which one you buy.

Gene

Those burrs come in different "grits" so make you pay attention to which one you buy.

Gene

What would be a good grit size on this type burr for working with balsa? I'm really looking for something in the 1/4" size range for making ballast holes in balsa baits and everything I've tried so far wants to tear out even after sealing the wood.

Sorry for the highjack Mags. :halo:

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

What would be a good grit size on this type burr for working with balsa? I'm really looking for something in the 1/4" size range for making ballast holes in balsa baits and everything I've tried so far wants to tear out even after sealing the wood.

Sorry for the highjack Mags. :halo:

Ben

Ben,

Here are a couple of links that have several burrs. There is no grit "size". Just listed as coarse, medium, fine, etc.

http://www.mountainwoodcarvers.com/bits.htm

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/Structured-Carbide-Burrs-Kutzall-1_4/products/115/

As to which "grit", I'm not sure that changing your "grit" would solve your problem. I would suggest that you slow your speed down and be less agressive when you first start your hole.

Gene

@ Mags

I'm using the round and oval router bits from the "Dremel" accessories range , for larger indentions on bigger lures it is of advantage to pre-drill the depth of the dimple and just widen the hole towards the circumferrence .

Make sure not to guide the rotating tool sidewards towards the rim but rather more from the outside to the center or paralell following the circumferrence , ...never apply too much pressure , .......if you slide it over the rim accidentally , you're most likely messed up , as no wood filler may help on that thin and delicate location .

But I haven't used those bits on balsa before but abachiwood , which is a bit more dense than the darker and harder balsa, ...but similar in grain .

good luck , ....greetz , diemai :yay: