mark poulson

Bone Color

I've never mixed bone, but I can usually guess pretty close what it's going to take to mix up a shade.

I'm sure you'll be handed a formula here shortly, but in the meantime I would go to the shop and try brown, yellow, and / red. Emphasis on yellow. Just a tiny trace of red. Not necessarily all three. Probably about as much as you can fit on the end of a toothpick added to the white.

Let me know how close I hit it!

I've never mixed bone, but I can usually guess pretty close what it's going to take to mix up a shade.

I'm sure you'll be handed a formula here shortly, but in the meantime I would go to the shop and try brown, yellow, and / red. Emphasis on yellow. Just a tiny trace of red. Not necessarily all three. Probably about as much as you can fit on the end of a toothpick added to the white.

Let me know how close I hit it!

Bazt,

I've experimented with different mixes, but none seem to give me anything but a dirty white.

Mostly, I'm really lost on what an actual bone color should look like.

Doh!!!!

Edited by mark poulson

Bazt,

I've experimented with different mixes, but none seem to give me anything but a dirty white.

Mostly, I'm really lost on what an actual bone color should look like.

Doh!!!!

You mean you don't have a crank to match or an image in your head? Just basically off white...something like eggshell white but a little different, just a little more color to it.

Here's a good example of classic Bone:

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/08/af/56019b3652b5353321b7fbd39967.jpg

I know the pic is kind of small, but if you study it closely for a minute you can see that the hue is a little "warm" looking. Look a little longer and you can actually feel the red and / or yellow in there.

When I used to work in a plastics lab one of the guys told me to look at a big grey, rubbermaid garbage can and he asked me what colors I "saw" in the plastic. I told him white, black, a little blue. But when he kept asking me "what held it all together" I couldn't figure it out. He had to tell me. It was yellow. Just a touch. But I saw the yellow in that garbage can from then on.

What colors have you tried other than black / grey?

I don't have a formula either. Start with 2 oz of white. Add a few drops of brown, a few drops of yellow, and maybe just a touch of gray if you want "really old bone". Guys think of different hues when talking about "bone" but mixing those colors will get you there. Early on, I was an archaeologist. Saw lots of really really old bone. No relationship to crankbaits but it gave me an attitude about what real "bone" looks like.

crap load of white then add a drops of "brite yellow" and a drops transparent "brown" until you get the desired color. I will add that you should heat dry samples and look at them in the sunlight and compare them to a lure in bone... otherwise, it's real easy to overdose and get a darker bone color, which doesn't seem to work quite as well (from my fishing experience anyway). I say mix it in sunlight because fluorescent and incandescent lighting can throw you off when mixing the color. It's a booger, and one of the hardest colors for me to match. I normally end up with a ton when its all said and done because I end up making it too dark on the first trial.

You need to decide whether to use "hobby paints" or airbrush paints. The bone I posted in the cookbook uses "Goose feather", a hobby paint. If your airbrush will shoot it, no problem, but many TU'ers use .3mm or smaller airbrush tips, which are not suited to that. I switched to all-airbrush paint and a .3mm tip awhile back and that's why I posted a mix with Createx colors - which is what Mark asked for.

Those lures look great! The first bone colored lure I remember was a Wee R, man did it ever catch bass. I believe it had an orange belly. Congratulations Musky Glenn

Thanks.

I used a red sharpie to hilite the gills, and the throat after the topcoat had cured, and put some Sally Hansen Hard As Nails clear around the belly hook to protect from hook rash on all the baits I painted.

They're in the boat now, begging to go swimming. :wink: