spoonpluggergino

Ready To Purchase Iwata Air Brush

I have been purchasing various pieces of tools and equipment, for my new hobby to build/paint hard baits. The air brush that seems to be the front runner, after reading lots of info on TU to me seems to be the Iwata double action.

I am a litle confused as to what size nozle to get for painting baits. I am thinking on purchasing two air brush, one with a .5mm nozle to cover the bait with paint and one with either .2mm or.3mm nozle for details. I am looking at the Revolution model HP-BR .5mm for covering the bait and the Revolution .3mm for details. My other option is to purchase one Revolution model HP-BR .5mm and one higher end model like the High Performance model HPC-C 2mm or 3mm nozle

If I could do the job with two Revolution model I could save some money and not buy the High Performance model. My thinking is to do this the right way at first, in the long run I may save money, by purchasing something better later and waste money on something that is cheap

Thank Gentilemens

spoonpluggergino

Gino, I do all color basecoating with an Iwata Revolution BR, which is a .3mm brush. It works just fine so I don't see a need for a .5mm tip just to shoot basecoat, as long as you stick to airbrush paint only. So I recommend getting a .3mm tip brush and using it for awhile. You may be surprised at how versatile it is once you gain experience with it (and yes, it will take awhile!). I start out with the Revolution BR and often end up using it for the entire lure. I also have an Iwata HP+ with .2mm tip. The difference in capability between the .2 and .3 mm brushes is not huge. I only use the HP when I have to do really fine shading/layering with transparent paint. Llike a lot of guys, I use stencils extensively for details because it's reliable and gives you identical results on both sides of the bait.

I use 100% airbrush paint. If you plan to use any coarse hobby paints (Apple Barrel, Plaid, etc), the larger .5mm tip might be needed to minimize clogs. Also, if you intend to shoot auto clearcoat or other topcoats through an airbrush, a larger tip is usually better. Other than that, I don't see the need.

I agree with Bob. My Iwata has a .3mm nozzle and it's used for everything including base coats. I see no need to buy a brush to be used exclusively for base coating. You might want to look at a brush that has the MAC valve on it. It just gives you a little more control over paint and air flow and it's located right on the brush so your not having to make small adjustments to the regulator. More experienced airbrushers with great trigger control say it's not needed, but for those of us who are less talented it makes things a little easier. Or it does for me at least.

Ben

I have the same brush as Ben. The Mac valve is very useful and I can also shoot basecoats with the .3mm nozzle. I also had the iwata Eclipse CS with the .35 nozzle which is also a great brush and can be used for everything. Whichever model you choose, it's hard to go wrong with Iwata. You get what you pay for, IMO

Thank you everyone, you made my decision very easy to figure out what I needed to order. Now I am ready to start building my baits, making them I am sure will be some challenges but I am not intimidated. The air brush that is another story, this has me a litle worried. I am mechanically inclinedI can also do isometric drawing, but I do not have any artistic quality in me, I am sure with lots of pratice and paitence I should be able to at least do some easy paint jobs . I ended up purchasing a Revolution airbrush HP-CR and an Iwata Sprint Jet compressor with a slew of other items and Createx paint kit

Thanks again

Gino

Hey Gino-

You won't be sorry with that brush. I've got the same thing and love it. If you think you need something specifically for basecoating pick up a cheap Harbor Freight brush. They're about ten bucks. I picked one up for that purpose, but didn't really use it much. I think I used it a handful of times. Once you get spoiled on the Iwata... you'll use it for everything. At least I do.

-Sam

Gino,

Iwata brushes are great tools.

I own a Badger siphon brush that has glass jars for larger amounts of paint. It was cheap, but it works really well. I use it for base coating large baits, and multi piece swimbaits, or multiple baits.

It has a .5 tip, and I can spray mud through it.

But for most of my painting, for finer details, and regular Createx-type paints, I use my Iwata with a .3 tip. It's amazing, easy to clean (critical), and a workhorse. The only paint it has trouble with is thick base coat white.

Thin your paints to the consistency of skim milk, and you'll never have a problem. Multiple light coats, heat set after each coat, are the key to successful airbrush painting of lures.

When I'm doing only one or two cranks, I never use anything but my Iwata.

Mark

Thanks for your response. I did buy the Iwata brush, the salesmen was very helpful, but for some reason he was going to sell me the HP-CR brush due to larger cup size, 1/3 oz. but this brush has a .5mm nozle I switched back to the HP-BR this one has .3mm nozle the only drawback the cup size is only 1/16 oz., hopefully this cup is big enough to paint large muskie baits. My other option is to buy another Revolution brush with the 1/3 oz cup that has.5mm and use it to do base coats. 1/16 oz. does not seem much but I am sure it will most likely cover even a large muskie bait. the other dilemma is that If I decide to buy a second brush I would like to get the High Performance brush in .2mm. Right now I am taking the advice from all of you Tu members that responded with great advice and go with it, I really greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

spoonpluggergino

Looking at the parts list on the Revolution series of brushes it looks like the different size needles and nozzles are interchangeable. If you wanted to purchase the larger cup size and go to the expense of purchasing the .3mm needle and nozzle then you'd have the brush with the larger cup size and the .3mm needle and nozzle. That would be a lot cheaper than buying another brush.

Ben