crankpaint

Badger Airbrush Won't Spray Air

If it sat for a while without ever being used, chances are it's insides are dry. Lube it up, and give it a whirl. You can use airbrush clean as a lube, but you'll probably have to take it apart and lube everything by hand to begin with, in order to get it working.

If it's been used before, do what Ben said.

Is it a "never been used" brush, or one that's just sat for a long time?

If it's new, contact Badger and ask them what to do.

If it's been used, but has sat for a long time, follow Ben's instructions. Assuming it has teflon seals, take it apart completely, and soak the parts in clean acetone overnight.

If it doesn't have teflon seals (verify that with Badger if you don't have the original packaging) then don't use acetone. Try paint thinner.

Every once in a while, when my brushes won't spray paint, I clean the tip with a soft brush dipped in acetone, remove the needle, and clean it, put it back in but not tight, and backflush with acetone. I also loosen up the nozzle parts a little and backflush with acetone.

If they still won't spray right, I take them apart and give them a "Ben Bath" in acetone.

I clean my brushes really well after each paint session, using a spray bottle to get all the paint residue out of the bowl (over a tupperware cleanout bowl), backflush with water, then windex, then a water/one drop of dishwashing solution, and I run the needle in and out to make sure all the paint is cleaned out of the barrel.

It takes me a minute+ to do that.

I have a larger tupperware filled with clean water next to my paint station, sitting on a small towel, and a smaller cleanout tupperware there, too, so I don't put the dirty water back into the clean.

My soft, cheap artist's brushes with plastic handles are always soaking in the clean water, ready to use, so I'm never tempted to skip a step in my cleaning routine.

Developing a good, quick cleaning routine that is second nature to you is a real key to successful painting, so you don't have to spend your time getting old paint out of the brush, and can concentrate on getting new paint onto your lures.

Edited by mark poulson

my badger 360 did something similar once. I was using it routinely, but went about 2 weeks without when it stopped shooting air. I took everything I could apart, but couldn't figure out how to get the 360 swivel deal apart without a hammer. I didn't want to really screw it up.

i sent it to badger and they fixed it up... I wouldn't soak it in acetone unless you talk to badger first. I think that might have been why mine went FUBAR. I think it was a mixture between there being paint in a spot it shouldn't have been and there being a swelled seal.

ooo.... actually, you might want to try this. Put you airbrush in the freezer for around an hour. If it is just a swelled seal, it may contract back to its normal size. I've done this with water filter O-rings before.

I'm betting you still have some paint clogged in the front of the brush, or else the trigger air valve is not working properly. Completely disassemble the brush and soak it for 24 hrs in airbrush cleaning solution. If you have a set of small airbrush cleaning brushes, use them. Shine a light through the tip, barrel, etc to see if you can see any obstruction. Put a drop of fine oil in the air valve where the hose connects to the brush to lubricate its internal rubber parts.