Juice780

Epoxy Question

i am having some problems with my epoxy. I'm working on making some alabama rigs for a couple of people and im having trouble with my wire breaking loose from the body. i'm making my body out of balsa, then drilling a hole and epoxing my wire into the hole. problem is after it sets up and i try to bend the wires out it busts the epoxy and the wires come loose. i am using .051 ss wire and twisting .032 around the end of all 5 wires then epoxing that part into the bait. its almost like the epoxy is not sticking to the wire, it breaks away. i am using d2t epoxy. should i not twist the smaller wire and drill a hole just big enough for all the wire then epoxy the wire in? I am also wondering if there is a better epoxy or glue for this purpose, or maybe i should use a smaller diameter wire so when i bend it, it doesnt break lose from the epoxy inside the bait. when you have 5 wires going in they all cant touch the wood and its like the epoxy doesnt bond with the wire. i've not done anything like this before and im a little confused. I dont have any problems epoxing my hook hangers in my crankbaits using d2t. Its starting to get cold here and at night when i leave the shop i turn the heat off and it gets cold in there could this affect the way it sets up? Any input would be much appreciated.

Im not trying to be the bearer of bad news but i own a couple of the alabama rigs and you will never be able to make what you are talking about work. The epoxy will never hold the wires in the balsa. If im understanding what you are saying. What exactly are you tyeing to? Are your wires connecting to where you are tying off? I fished with one today and im telling you for a fact that it needs to all tie in and then pour a body around it.

Im not trying to be the bearer of bad news but i own a couple of the alabama rigs and you will never be able to make what you are talking about work. The epoxy will never hold the wires in the balsa. If im understanding what you are saying. What exactly are you tyeing to? Are your wires connecting to where you are tying off? I fished with one today and im telling you for a fact that it needs to all tie in and then pour a body around it.

That's about what I was thinking also. Do all your wire ties and twisting then pour a epoxy or pvc mold. Or instead of trying to afix your wires inside the balsa drill out your balsa with a concentric opening in the back of the body then epoxy to the wire, leaving room for the wires to expand outwards not putting pressure on the balsa when you spread them... Just a thought.