blazt*

Best Rattle Can Paint?

Just want to know about everbody's favorite rattle can paint!

I need something to do scale patterns on the backs of my cranks and possibly white on the bellies - that's the only thing it will be used for - but I want to be able to lay down a nice, smooth, extra fine spray. It wouldn't hurt if the can was easy to hold and control.

Also I'm going to need something that will spray and adhere well in cold weather, since I always paint outside. Before I started airbrushing I tried a can of the el cheapo Walmart crap in the blue can, but it just wouldn't adhere below 40 degrees.

I decided I want to go ahead and get rid of my airbrushes, compressor, bottles of ctex, and everything else.

These days I mostly throw glitter - coated cranks, and they produce in all conditions. I paint my jigs with nail polish and they come out great. No need for the pile of airbrush gear anymore - I'm just going to pare down because I can crank out more baits this way, anyhow.

You might want to take a look at these.

http://dixieart.com/Montana_Alien.html

http://www.mtncolors...category-detail

Montana Colors also sells different spray nozzles to achieve different effects including some very fine lines.

The smaller "Alien" and "Micro" cans are about the same price as model spray paint cans if not cheaper.

Those look cool. I'll have to check those links again when I have more time.

I picked up a can of reg Krylon black at walmart. Both cans indicated 50 degree min. spray temp so I skipped the fusion. I did a small batch of cranks, based out with nail polish, and adhesion was more than a slight problem. The paint pooled a bit in the center of each diamond shaped cell of scale mesh. It later melted (one one bait) under urethane clear. The others were semi - ok. I'm pretty sure it was over 50 degrees, and I warmed the can first.

I'm thinking I need something like createx in a spray can. Never had a problem with it outside in the cold - always great results. I guess I could get one of those refillable cans with an attached shrader valve but then that would be getting away from the original goal of simplification and cheapness.

Dont use a nail polish base. I only use rattle cans and have never had a problem. Rustoleum has new cans that spray at any angle. Krylons work and vespar. Montana cans are for grafitti and the tips are very useful. Look up grafitti caps and you will see a huge variety of tips designs.. liners to splatter tips. I get my cans from home depot lowes micheals.. gotta look everywhere for a good color variety. My suggestion is to only use cans on top of cans when painting. And shaking up the cans for a full minute or more is essential for the best bond and uniform drying. Ive painted metal wood and plastic with these paints and never had a problem until i started mixing enamels and laquers on the same bait. also you gotta have a light touch when spraying scale patterns. Hold the can a good distance ((18"-24" )) away from the bait and just mist it. Light pressure to the tip until a fine mist steadily comes out. A full depression at close range will pool everytime. I think the weird drying you got was probably due to the nail polish base. Also when i spray in the winter it helps to warm the bait as well as the can if you cant heat the whole workspace. I hope this helps.

Ceaser

Edited by Toxicbaits