CatchemCaro

Swivel Hook Mounts For Crank Baits?

I pinch one end of a Spro swivel until it's the same size as the barrel, so it will slide into a snug hole, and then glue in the swivel, being careful not to get glue up into the barrel.

I use bigger swivels for swimbaits, and smaller ones for cranks.

All of them are stronger than the line I fish, so strength isn't a problem, and the Spro swivels are sold by rated strength.

I have found that drilling the hole the same depth as the swivel, and the adding a couple of drops of gap filling crazy glue by letting it run down the side of the hole to the bottom, gives me enough glue to use the pinched part as an anchor.

I think cutting off one end and just gluing in the barrel would probably be enough, but I haven't tried that.

If you do, and you're using wood, I'd suggest you "treat" the wood around the hole first with the runny crazy glue, it makes the wood stronger and helps the swivel hold better.

I've never had a failure of this swivel system.

Edited by mark poulson

I pinch one end of a Spro swivel until it's the same size as the barrel, so it will slide into a snug hole, and then glue in the swivel, being careful not to get glue up into the barrel.

I use bigger swivels for swimbaits, and smaller ones for cranks.

All of them are stronger than the line I fish, so strength isn't a problem, and the Spro swivels are sold by rated strength.

I have found that drilling the hole the same depth as the swivel, and the adding a couple of drops of gap filling crazy glue by letting it run down the side of the hole to the bottom, gives me enough glue to use the pinched part as an anchor.

I think cutting off one end and just gluing in the barrel would probably be enough, but I haven't tried that.

If you do, and you're using wood, I'd suggest you "treat" the wood around the hole first with the runny crazy glue, it makes the wood stronger and helps the swivel hold better.

I've never had a failure of this swivel system.

Would your method work for the front hanger on a jerkbait, where the body depth is only about 3/4"?

Crazy glue is CA based, isn't it? I have some bottles of super glue I could use and what you are describing here sounds a little better than twisting my own hangers. I take it you are completely filling the hole with glue, so that it provides mechanical support for the swivel, rather than just making it stick to the wood.

Do you lose fewer bass on a crank with this setup?

BSSTH-1.jpg

http://www.tacklewar...page-BSSTH.html

These are produced by spintech and were introduced at the Icast show this last year. $6.49 for a 4 pack. Hope this is what you were talking about. bb

Have some, not sure I like them. First, they are heavy for their size. Second, they are a soft metal, so soft that they bend and dull easy.

I think they may have a place, but so far, I am not impressed.

There has got to be a better way.

Blazt,

I think there would be room for a small swivel hanger on the belly of a jerkbait, but it would be hard.

I do not fill the hole with glue. That would make the swivel sieze up solid.

I put just a drop of the gap filling ZAP brand crazy glue (CA) in the hole, use a small piece of wire to dip into the hole and coat the sides of the sem-snug hole with that glue, and then insert the swivel, being careful to keep the bait belly up until the clue sets. I use the ZAP accerrant to set the glue off more quickly.

Anglinarcher,

Thanks for the feedback on the Spintechs.

Have some, not sure I like them. First, they are heavy for their size. Second, they are a soft metal, so soft that they bend and dull easy.

I think they may have a place, but so far, I am not impressed.

There has got to be a better way.

I have put them on and then taken them off of several lures. I agree 100% with your assessment of these expensive hooks.

If you decide to install them, use a good needlenose pliers to hold the upper portion of the hook shaft immobile, and split-ring pliers in the other hand. Trying to install them by holding the bottom portion of the hook with your fingers is a whole lot like a dog chasing its tail, (but not nearly as entertaining) as it spins away from the point of the split ring.

I also see their best feature, that of negating leverage as fish tries to shake loose, as a weak point when it comes to getting unsnagged. I've been there, and it is a disadvantage. And, as these hooks dull easily compared to the premium steeled trebles many of us use, you don't have leverage on the hook-set itself anymore, as hook points can rotate to the path of least resistance when pulled.

When I first saw these hooks in the tackle shop, I could only see their potential for putting more fish in the boat. In use however, I learned about their negative qualities. I also don't know how strong they ultimately are, though I suspect these hooks will straighten before breakage occurs. In the end, I think these hooks create more problems than they solve.