nedyarb

Has Anyone Made A Rattle Trap?

The ONLY ONE who ever made a Rat-L-Trap is Bill Lewis. The only copy I ever saw that was on-fire was the Sonic. In fact Sonic is so old I'm not sure who copied who. However, there are lots of companies out there making lipless crankbaits.

I don't think it would be all that hard to do. Some get all silly with shape, but the original Rat-L-Trap has a simple shape and works well. The only major improvement I could imagine has already been done. The Timber Trap. Then I only use it when I know I am going to be beating on trees.

I've always wondered why nobody talks about making rattlebaits from wood. Probably because forming the chamber would be a PITA, but why not a silent model? Rattlebaits are great in clear water I bet that would be good.

I have been fishing some cheap chinese baits for a few years now that are SUPERB. The have an erratic flutter on the lift and come to rest dead on the nose, no matter the angle, etc.

I should probably autopsy one and see what it'll do reproduced in wood.

On the other hand I can get them cheap...but would wood outproduce?

I made a silent balsa trap for late season fish that have seen too many rattling traps over the course of the summer. As you might imagine, the ballast and line tie placement is pretty critical. I made a few before I got it just right.

It was a simple profile to build and I enjoy fishing it. And it's something no one else on my river has yet. ;)

Effective? Sure. More so that a rattling trap? I dunno. Probably not.

For some reason it wouldn't let me edit my post, so here's what I was gonna add:

I just remembered a I have a pic I posted that shows the innards of the silent trap. Right here: http://samuelbennett.org/anatomy-of-a-wooden-crankbait/

One note - this ballast weight and position didn't run right, but was somewhat close to the end placement. It needed a bunch more weight than originally anticipated and the placement was too far up and back. I ended up pouring a ballast that did the trick better than what is pictured.

Thanks LaPala, it looks like it can be done. I think I will try one out of pvc first. For the rattles I think I will drill 3 holes straight through the sides with a drill bit, put a couple lead shots in each one, and cap the holes with a piece of an aluminum beer can, to make em loud. Thanks all, Rob