Clint M

Why Would My Rubber Mold Play Out?

I have been told that Silicone and polyurethane chemically react to each other and after so many pours chunks will start breaking off. No way to stop it, but mold release will help slow that down. Mold release works real good. I haven't poured 100 times in any one mold to see what happens. I did have some Mold Max 60 from Smooth On that did break chunks off premature. I thought there was something wrong with the Mold Max because it was sooo thick for mixing. I had to take the stuff out of the jug with a putty knife. when set it is a hard RTV silicone.

I only did prototype work with the polyurethane and RTV. I had so many problems I had to quit. I made some spin cast molds to cast polyurethane and on the parts, the micro balloons would stay in the center of the mold and the heavy stuff would be on the out side of the mold where the parts were at, so they wouldn't float.. then tried the RTV and was having trouble with air bubbles in the polyurethane because of the fill gate location.

I really like the mold release. It looked like it would extend the mold life.

I don't know what to use for a mold, maybe someone knows, something like Delrin that could be machined. that stuff is expensive.