gordon

Removable Hinge Pin

I have successfully made a couple of "Bathtub" prototype PVC swimbaits that swam well using SS screweyes and some galvanized nails for the hinge pins.

Hopefully, Father Christmas will deliver me a Drill Press along with an Air brush, so I can begin construction proper. I am happy with the hinge system and I will of course use stainless for the pins too.

My question surrounds finishing the lure - How do you do this without totally gunking up the hinges - given that the design I have in mind will have the pins fixed in place and never to be removed?

My other follow on question is - how can you make a hinge system where you can remove the hinges for painting and put it together afterwards? I know there are commercial swimbaits that do this. How can I do this and ensure that the pins will stay in place when the lure is put back together? I am thinking some kind of friction/interference fit where you slightly bend the end of the pins, but I am not sure whther this would work loose?

Thanks for your help, this is a great website, I will post my efforts, once I have an effort worth posting :D

just a dab of epoxy will do the trick. just enough to get between the pin and the inside of the hole. let it dry holding the bait from the nose wipe off any excess before it dries. Its that simple. if you make your pins 1/4" long you can paint all together pull the pins out clear as seperate pieces then trim the excess pin and put it all back together again. Again not hard at all

Edited by nitro98