fishnart

What If I Love Your Lure Pattern?

Hey fellow bait painters, I see a lot of beautiful baits on here. I need to know whats proper, say I see a pattern that I really love and want to try it out. I'm assuming the proper thing to do is get permission to paint it?? What if we see a pattern that we want to add to our list of baits? Again I'm assuming we should get permission. Just curious about this...thanks in advance.

I think 99% of TUers would say "go for it" if you want to copy a pattern they posted on the site. If a guy who builds baits for sale comes up with a pattern that is so unique that he doesn't want it copied by anyone, he should copyright the design, hire a lawyer to defend the copyright, never post it online, and only show it to customers after they have signed a non-disclosure agreement and have sworn only to fish the lure at night or in totally uninhabited areas of the world. :lolhuh: The really spiffy stuff I see on TU is by master painters who can artistically execute a design. 99.99% of the time, you can see that design's antecendents in other lures. They took a basic design idea, maybe added some technique from somewhere/someone else, and pulled off a magic trick in paint.

I think 99% of TUers would say "go for it" if you want to copy a pattern they posted on the site. If a guy who builds baits for sale comes up with a pattern that is so unique that he doesn't want it copied by anyone, he should copyright the design, hire a lawyer to defend the copyright, never post it online, and only show it to customers after they have signed a non-disclosure agreement and have sworn only to fish the lure at night or in totally uninhabited areas of the world. :lolhuh: The really spiffy stuff I see on TU is by master painters who can artistically execute a design. 99.99% of the time, you can see that design's antecendents in other lures. They took a basic design idea, maybe added some technique from somewhere/someone else, and pulled off a magic trick in paint.

That's what I am in the process of doing now!

You guys are frick'n hilarious...thank you for reply'n. And yes, if anyone wants mine, have at it. I really only do natural stuff anyways, don't have the capability to make something of my own. Everyone does such a great job, just love to come on here and see everyones work. I just spent four hrs hand painting a pumpkinseed today, when I finish it, I'll want your input.

Thanks again you crazy people hahahaha

+3 on what Bob said. I stole ideas from someone else anyway.

You really should at least pay the poor soul a compliment. Around here, we have long standing tradition of telling someone how much we like their stuff just before we rob'm blind. It is the least one could do. And besides, he will know his work is in the hands of someone who really appreciates it.

littleriver

Edited by littleriver

its common practice. thru the years we do charterboat custom colors. we have the agreement not to go public for 2 seasons, to protect their secrets.on another subject we have been contacted by company lawyers on packaging card infringments.

each country has trademarks, and copryrights.folks ask why we dont get peed off on copied patterns we do. well hell somewhere they were done years back.

its impossible for smaller companies to protect images and styles. you,ll go broke defending.

You really should at least pay the poor soul a compliment. Around here, we have long standing tradition of telling someone how much we like their stuff just before we rob'm blind. It is the least one could do. And besides, he will know his work is in the hands of someone who really appreciates it.

littleriver

haha... oh lordy.