nedyarb

How To Remove Glue From Lips?

what kind of glue? Don't think goo gone would work. You could try carefully scraping it away with a sharp utility knife. Will likely leave scratch marks but wont effect action which the fish will go for. Etexing over the lips will add weight. For next time try a woodworkig trick by dry fitting the lip into the bait, then mark or scratch the joint of the bait and bill. Remove the biill then masking tape over the bill leaving the part inserted into the bait exposed for the glue to grab. When dry just peal away the tape. I usually tape the bill to keep paint off the bill anyway so I just do the taping early. Sometimes I have to use an exacto knife to cut the glue at the joint to remove the tape if the glue gets too thick but still leaves the bill finshed clean.

Denatured alcohol is the only solvent I know that is mild enough not to cloud a plastic lip. If that won't work, I would sand them down and dip them in Dick Nite S81, which will make them look almost "good as new". I've never had a lip painted with epoxy look right.

A little trick I stumbled on a while back in dealing with those scratched up lips you get on the Jan's baits is to brush on some etex and then wipe it off with a clean rag. The etex will fill in the scratches but by wiping it off it won't look like epoxy. In this case you could probably sand the glue off and do the above and it will look good as new.

2-ton can be used as a clear coat when you have cracked the paint on a bait with DN or some other solvent clear coat. Give it a try on the next "gosh darn-it" bait. Sometime you can't even tell the paint was ever cracked,,