saltshaker

Ok, Before You Begin Painting A Lure

Do you have every detail in mind, or, do you just wing it and make up crap as you go? I find myself doing the latter and, possibly, that's why alot of my 'patterns' have no rhyme or reason. Also, I need to start writing down formulas, but, when you do as I do......you done forgot what you did by the time the lure is completed. :)

For me personally, I've have too know exactly what I'm going to do before I get started. But that's mostly because I have to precisely duplicate a color scheme, over and over again. I paint somewhere around 150-200 baits a month, so to make it profitable it has to be done in an assembly line type fashion, and I need to know where I'm going before I get started. The most time consuming part of painting is matching another paint job, That can be extremely time consuming and frustrating. So when I finally figure it out, you can bet your a&@, it's getting wrote down, precisely!!

But with that being said, my favor part of painting is just winging it, playing with different colors and just seeing what comes out. Most of the colors I paint now are recipes I came up with by just winging it. But I do pay enough attention so that I could duplicate it. I learned that lesson the hard way!!

i usually only do about 10-15 at a time but i do have somewhat of a general idea of what i want to do so when im adding say an orange side on one lure i can add a orange belly spot on another and things like that so im not cleaning my cup from one color just to go back to it soon again - it just saves me time and paint and cleaning material

i do a lot of "winging it" as i go too though and maybe add something extra to a lure but overall i kinda like to step back and have a decent game plan before i start so i dont waste time or money

I have a general idea when I start. As I paint, I may decide to try an extra transparent color, a detail, etc You can do that if you're painting just a few one at a time for your own use. It can sometimes mean a long afternoon when your brain storm looks like crap, all the color has to be washed off and started from scratch. But I figure a little experimentation is a good thing.

I have a general idea when I start. As I paint, I may decide to try an extra transparent color, a detail, etc You can do that if you're painting just a few one at a time for your own use. It can sometimes mean a long afternoon when your brain storm looks like crap, all the color has to be washed off and started from scratch. But I figure a little experimentation is a good thing.

And waaaay up into the night. :lolhuh:

I am novice at best but definitely must have an idea of what your going to do before you start doing it. Something I do is draw the shape of the lure on the back of a paper plate. Then paint it . If I like, I use it as a reference for what i want to do later. Most painters have the subject they are trying to copy in front of them. Fishnart's latest paint job is a perfect example. He shows you the subject photo with the lure he painted. The photo is more than a prop; it is what he used as a reference. If he wanted to know what to do next, he looks at the photo. This technique is a proven winner. Good luck!

Vic

I only do up 2-5 baits at a time and the patterns and colors may be similar but never the same. I have a laptop set up in my paint room, and once I decide what pattern I want to paint(bass, crappie, seed, etc...) I pull up a picture of a fish and zoom in till it fills the screen. I don't write down the formula, unless someone asks me about it or if I'm posting it in the cookbook. I have the color and pattern right in front of me. Sometimes I'll get a wild hair and just go looking for something exotic or off the wall and paint it up just to do it, but its pretty simple once you get rolling. The two most important things to remember...

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

2. Once you've painted the most beautiful lure ever... DON'T DROP THE DANGED BAIT RIGHT AFTER TOP COATING!!! :pissed:

The rest will come along in time...

I fly by night and shoot from the hip + I never write anything down. Sometimes is works out and sometimes it looks like recycled mule dung. The later ends up in the blemish box. Once in a while I forget how I did something but it comes back pretty quick. I usually take a picture of the new or odd stuff and add it to my photobucket. It drives me nuts to paint the same thing over and over. If I need some inspiration I copy one of you guys...

I only do up 2-5 baits at a time and the patterns and colors may be similar but never the same. I have a laptop set up in my paint room, and once I decide what pattern I want to paint(bass, crappie, seed, etc...) I pull up a picture of a fish and zoom in till it fills the screen. I don't write down the formula, unless someone asks me about it or if I'm posting it in the cookbook. I have the color and pattern right in front of me. Sometimes I'll get a wild hair and just go looking for something exotic or off the wall and paint it up just to do it, but its pretty simple once you get rolling. The two most important things to remember...

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

2. Once you've painted the most beautiful lure ever... DON'T DROP THE DANGED BAIT RIGHT AFTER TOP COATING!!! :pissed:

The rest will come along in time...

Been there done that a couple of times. Why the :censored: do we pick the :censored: thing up knowing full well it is not dry. Like a kid at christmas time. :nuhuh:

I always have an idea of what I want to paint, and sometimes I'll have a color photo from the computer to use as a guide.

When I was trying to duplicate the crappie on our local SoCal lakes, I saw there was a golden cast over the shoulders on the photo, and that gave me the idea to fog over the light green with metalic gold. It came out great.

Sometimes I get a wild hair, and just paint something until it looks right.

But I always have an idea of what I want before I start.

I mostly do realistic baits so mine are pretty precise and I have a specific plan. Plus I am sooooo anal, it has to be EXACT AND PERFECT or....I do it all over. I drive myself crazy. I keep saying that I want to make some of my own patterns, wing it and see what I come up with but I enjoy what I already do so much that I can't stop. Eventually I'm just gonna put all of my ref material away and just paint.

I mostly do realistic baits so mine are pretty precise and I have a specific plan. Plus I am sooooo anal, it has to be EXACT AND PERFECT or....I do it all over. I drive myself crazy. I keep saying that I want to make some of my own patterns, wing it and see what I come up with but I enjoy what I already do so much that I can't stop. Eventually I'm just gonna put all of my ref material away and just paint.

Dude, if I had your talent......I'd have a plan, too. :)

I fly by night and shoot from the hip + I never write anything down. Sometimes is works out and sometimes it looks like recycled mule dung. The later ends up in the blemish box. Once in a while I forget how I did something but it comes back pretty quick. I usually take a picture of the new or odd stuff and add it to my photobucket. It drives me nuts to paint the same thing over and over. If I need some inspiration I copy one of you guys...

gunnie everybodys trying to copy your baits who are you kidding ...copying someone bait..lmao