bbf

Swimbait Builders....

whats the smallest swimbait you have built? When I say small I mean 3" or smaller. I have some PVC and want to build some swimbaits using it. My understanding from this forum and others the smaller the bait the harder/ more tedious the build!!!??? I would like to know if you built the bait to perform a certain way and if it did so. Also do you think a bait 3" of smaller will need a bill to make it wobble/ give it the swim action? Thanks for any feed back.

Lee

To me a 3" and smaller segmented bait is not a "swimbait". Put a bill on a bait that size and it is a jointed crank or stick bait IMO. I know Mr. Hopkins has made some pretty small baits so he may be able to chime in but I dont mess with them. Kinda defeats the purpose of the "big bait theory".

Also if this is your first swimbait build..you may want to start larger and work your way down in size instead of the opposite. Just trying to save you some headaches. Just my two cents good luck to ya

• Like 1

I made some 4" four piece PVC baits, and wound up having to use sst cotter pins for the hinges. I only put a hook in the first section, so there was no strain on the hinges.

They swam like a snake. I typically like to make my head portion 2X the size of the other segments, but these baits were too small for that.

They are a lot of trouble because they are so small.

much harder!! start big to learn and try to incorporate methods into smaller baits. the smallest i have done was 3" @ 1/2 oz. i had no idea if it would swim until it was finished so a lot of work for maybe no results. fortunately it swam well . a bait that small does not have much room for hinges and ballast so it is a challenge.

th_IMG_0221.jpg

Thanks guys for the info. Yeah I didnt know how possible it was and if it was worth the effort. By the way do yall think 19 guage wire would work for the hinges? Instead of purchasing any screw eyes(or other wire)figured I would twist em up myself. Thanks again guys.

Lee

Edited by bbf

Ive made two, 2.5" 3 segment cranksbaits Even with a bill it is difficult to get good action (when i refer to action in this case, i am not referring to wiggle or wobble, but rather the slithering action of a snake when viewed from above, i.e. "swimbait action") One stayed upright and swam "in an overall straight direction", but did not have nearly the slithering action as i would have liked. The other was the only bait i have made that did not swim properly at all. It wanted to turn/twist on its axis as i reeled. Making a sub 3" tri segment crankbait is a very time consuming process, especially if you want nice "tight" joints. My guess is getting that good "swimbait/slithering" action without a bill will be even more difficult. But at least you dont have a bill taking up space in the front segment so you can easier get the weight/ballast you need in the front segment in there. You might consider trying tungsten weights for something this small. It will lower the center of gravity which will (very slightly) help increae odds for a succesful swimmer. Your task at hand is not an easy one, best of luck.

I'm sure, if you can fit it into your segments, twist wire will work.

Overall weight would be my only concern.

Pizza,

I've found that three segment swimbaits tend to flap, like a flag. I have to go to at least four segments to get the snake-like slither.

I stopped fishing a two sement swimbait, the Jackall Giron, because all it did was big lazy S's, but it turns out the fish like that, so now I'm probably going to make some like that.

Thanks Mark! Havent tried 4 segment yet. A sub 3" swimbait is an ambitiuos project, doesnt seem to have been done here yet? More pics please. Also does TU periodically get rid of older pics? I was looking for some pics i posted a few years back and couldnt find any of my pics? And twisted wire will work fine for links bw segments, Its just a matter of actually doing it, getting the gaps the width you like (i do not like big gaps like on rapala jointeds, if you dont care about having big gaps it makes things easier, but this may lead to other complications in such a small bait), getting the strength you need, and still being able to fit in the ballast you will need for a sinker. Definitely possible, but wont be easy.

That is a sick lil swimmer jrhopkins!

Hey guys, im new to the forum. I have been building swimbaits for about 4 years, and my opinion is the bigger the easier to work with and tweak. Having to do the jointing on a small bait is extremely difficult. Jointing would be my biggest concern on a bait that small. My general rule for building a swimbait is that where the head of the bait goes, the body and the tail will follow. Usually i will make the head portion heavier than the body or tail, by making it bigger or adding a weight. hope this helps!