Beto

Quantity Of D2t To Use

Hi All

Is there any way to measure the exact amount of D2t to be applied to a blank?

i.e. if the blank weights "X" (oz, gr, etc) and I have 5 blanks to coat, how much epoxy should I mix?

or is it better to mix enough epoxy for one blank only? If doing so, is there any rough proportion between the weight of the blank and the amount of epoxy to use?

Sorry if the question seem to basic, but I'm just starting out using epoxy as coating.

greetings from OZ

Beto

At room temperature, I pour out 2 pools of hardener/resin, each about the size of a quarter to coat 2 average size (2-2.5") bass baits. I seldom try to coat more than 2 baits at a time because D2T will begin to set up too fast. I usually mix in a FEW drops of denatured alcohol in the epoxy after it is mixed to thin the it slightly, extend the brush time by a minute or two, and help release any bubbles. That allows enough time to do 3 baits quickly but if you are just starting out with D2T, I'd stick with 2 baits at a time.

Bottom line, if you have to err, you always want to have too much epoxy instead of too little.

• Like 1

I have been making baits for 12 yrs. and I still do them one at a time. Bobs advice (as always) is excellent about the amount to use. You will just have to get in there and do it. Eventually you will be able to eye ball the amount that you will need. Just keep at it and you will get it. If you need any help just ask. I have coated a few lures with Devcon.

Skeeter

Edited by Skeeter

I agree with Bob and Skeeter. Experience and trial and error will guide you best. I, too, have been using D2T for several years and still do them one (maybe two) at a time...that to me is what makes it custom. The package may say 30 minute working time, but that probably doesn't take into account those of us who use a "glue" as a brushed on finish coat. A little denatured alcohol does help. I keep some in a syringe so that I can control the drops (4-6 for nickel/quarter size pools of D2T). Too thin can be as much of a problem as too thick. Keep everything clean and dust free, and always mix well. Best of luck.

Beto I measure the D2T with the child medicine dispensing syringes from Walmart. The stopper cork fits great in the 9 oz bottles and makes drawing equal amounts of epoxy and hardener a breeze. I usually draw out 3 ml and squeeze out the air bubbles and excess epoxy until the top of the plunger is level with the "L" on the 1 ml mark. 3 drops of alcohol and you have enough epoxy to do 2 lures. This has been the most effective and least wasteful way I have found.