J Smithers

Rookie Airbrush Question

I'm just getting into painting and I'm already addicted to it. However, I really don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. I went to hobby lobby and bought several paints and just started experimenting. My main question is this, with the createx paints, do you have to use a reducer? I've been putting a little bit of reducer in with my paints but I just don't have an understanding as to what it actually does and how much I need to use. I just don't know if I'm using too much, too little or if I should even be using it at all.

Thanks for the help!

Reducing is mostly about how the paint shoots through your airbrush and there are no rules. If you want to shoot at a lower psi with the tip close to the work in order to do more line details, you'll want the paint to be thin so it will flow at low psi. If your paint is as thick as cream and you blast it at 45 psi and are getting the spray pattern you want, that's also perfectly OK. Some reducers work best when used immediately before shooting them. Some of us reduce paint in the bottle because we know we'll want it thinner and/or we want to extend the paint to economize. Whether to reduce and by how much is totally user-centric.