jwest

Painting Hard Body Lures Question...

If you just want to repaint it just scuff it up with a scotch brit pad and re paint it if its still smooth on the finish if not lightly sand out the dings and then paint it.you don't have to sand all the paint off but if you do give it a quick dip in acetone and wash it off in water that gives the paint something to bite into

Although it may be desireable to remove the old paint, it is not necessary. Depending on the condition of your bait(s), you can base coat solid for coverage and go from there. Most base coat with white, but if covering old paint jobs - especially those with bright colors and sharp contrast - I will base coat black to cover, then use white. Depending on the bait and its paint, some solvents will cut without affecting the plastic, but not many. Fine steell wool and "elbow grease" will do the trick - use some denatured alcohol sparingly, wiping dry often. If DA doesn't work, a little acetone might. Again, do not dip or bathe the entire bait, just dip the wool in and scrub/wipe, srub/wipe (you may also consider using gloves, as fingerprints can be pressed into the plastic without realizing it. A blasting cabinet is a great thing to have for what you are wanting to do - mine has saved me lots of time and smell. Fine glass beads at the right pressure will strip old and new baits alike, but it is an investment for only a few baits. These are just some of the things I remember doing before I got the cabinet. Hope this helps.

You can use automotive brake fluid DOT 3.

I've tried this in the past and it works quite well. Hang the lure if possible and only saturate the body using an acid brush. Do not apply to the hook hangers or lip as you don't want the fluid going inside the lure.

After a few hours the paint will start coming off. After you've taken all the paint off with a metal scraper or equivalent ( the acid brush works too ), spray it with brake kleen to remove any residual brake fluid.

This is a messy way of doing things but it would work well on scale bodied lures that sandpaper can't reach.

s54

if you want to get down to bare plastic, sand first to weaken the top coat, scrape the paint off with the back of an exacto knife, use the knife point to get into the cracks and details, and then dip quickly in acetone to remove the last traces of paint, and to remove any sanding and scraping marks on the plastic.

The acetone will clean the surface enough to let you paint directly onto the bait, without a primer.

Just don't soak it in the acetone, or it may dissolve the plastic of the bait itself. A quick dip, or a brushdown using a stiff brush, like an acid brush.

If you're going to do a solid color paint scheme, just dip or brushdown with the acetone. The old paint, if it's sound and not peeling, will be fine as an undercoat, and you don't have to put a primer over it to get a good bond once the acetone has brought the old paint surface back to life.

Edited by mark poulson