davewood

Epoxy Coatings

Envirotex forms a stretchy plastic layer, think of the plastic used for over head projectors. Subsequently this gives the shell a bit of give so it will not chip when it hits rocks or teeth. Note: You will not notice the Etext being a non-hard layer, I use wax paper as a place mat for all my epoxy work and that where you can peel off layers of the stuff.

I've never used D2ton but I hear it forms a hard layer similar to other epoxies, as a result works fine for bass baits but more likely to chip if your fish have teath and your hitting rocks? (Lacquer is extremely bad for this as when it chips it takes the paint with it.)

Dave, there are several popular topcoat products and each has advantages and disadvantages. Which is best depends on the kind of crankbait, the topcoat thickness you want, whether you have the required equipment and skills to handle, apply, and store the respective product. Slow cure epoxies like Devcon Two Ton, Envirotex Lite (aka ETEX), Flexcoat, Nu-lustre, Bob Smith are popular for their thick traditional look. Moisture cured urethanes like Dick Nite S81 are popular for their thin factory-like coating and ease of application (dipping). Two part catalyzed auto clearcoats are popular for their clarity, ability to be sprayed in multiple coats. Each option is durable and can make a great, waterproof, durable topcoat. All of them have been discussed at length here on the Hardbaits forum. Do a search and you'll get lots of info.