crankbaitbilly

Lip On The Crankbait ?

I was wondering I bought some unpainted crankbaits to paint myself & the lips are scuffed up , how do I get it back to clear ? I don't want to paint the lip . Do you buff it or does it go back to clear once you clear coat or apoxy it ? This is my first time ordering blanks I usually buy painted crankbaits & strip them , then paint etc..

Thanks Ahead for Any Tips !!!

I dip cranks in Dick Nite S81, which makes scuffed lips look brand new. Most topcoats will make the lip clear again but I don't like to use epoxy because it is not as thin as urethane and it will yellow over time. When you fish a bait with a scratched lip, water does the same job as a clear coat - so coating the lip with a topcoat is probably more about the fisherman than it is about the fish.

• Like 1

Bob is right. As soon as the bait enters the water the scratches disappear. That is unless what your calling scratches are actually gouges. Next time your sanding a bait down take it into the kitchen and run some water over it after you've gotten all the paint off and watch the scratches vanish. I can understand you wanting it to look good. That's what we all strive for, but the things we worry about and what the fish worry about are usually two separate things.

Ben

You can clear it and it will come back looking brand new. If you use epoxy and your like me and run your crank into rocks, wood or just try to make it hit everything you can, it might chip the epoxy on the lip and you could end up with even an uglier lure then you started with. Just a though.

Great answers....

Where i fish (lots of rocks), if you gave me the lure you have with the scratched lip as well as one that was scratched but then coated so it looked better, and i fished them for a year, the one that looked better in the beginning would end up looking worse after a year. That has been my experience with epoxy. Tried it once or twice and that was enough(dn s81 would almost certainlydo the same thing, rocks harder than epoxy) Dont worry about it, its like filling in scratches in the bottom of a yak, theyll be back in no time.