Crankie221

Hmm Devcon Where Did I Go Wrong

Firt of all hello to every one on tackle underground .Help urgently required ok where do i start . Devcon has been causing major problems first bubbles lots of bubbles so tried heating .This worked to a certain extent cleared a large portion of the lure but some remaining bubbles flowed towards tail end. Also because i carve the gills it ran thin at head and affected overall coating .So tried DA

3 drops to thin devcon still lots of bubbles ? i added more DA- perfect no bubbles. Waited till morning .Devcon was not set it was like rubber .So i purchased a very expensive artist brush

1/4 in 3 drops of DA and hey presto no bubbles but two more problems- a realy dull finish and when tested marks like oil started to develop under devcon slowly appearing.

PS i live in ireland so could the temp / humidity be a problem. I will try to post pics if required

Any help appreciated

Hi, First off welcome to TU, Otherwise known as "The Darkside"... Your Devcon, Is it the 5min or 30min? If it is the 5min switch to the 30min. If it is the 30 minute, Mix enough to do a lure, Mix 2 or 3 drops of DA as you are mixing the epoxy.let it sit a minute, there will be bubbles emerging and popping, blow gently into your mixing container, the warmth of your breath will help the bubbles rise and break quicker. After about 8-10 minutes coat your lure with a thin coat. With epoxy it is better to use a lure turner than drip dry, as this usually helps the epoxy stay even around the lure rather than gathering at high spots and the tail. It is also usually better to build your coats with several thin coats lightly scuffing or sanding between coats, than one single heavy coat.

The rubbery texture may be due to either improper mixture amounts or a old batch of epoxy.

Hope this helps,bb

I've been using devcon2ton 30 min the way i mix mine is 50/50 mix and after i mix it i hit it with a blowdryer on high till it flows well as that gets the air bubbles out and lets me coat my lures(i do two at a time)then i hit them again with the blowdryer just to smooth the 2ton and let it spin on my drying rack about 30 mins then shut off the drying rack and let it sit over night

HI thanks for your comment when you say 50/50 i presume you mean the two parts devcon .Just to add when i measure i always use two syringes so i get equal parts.One time i mixed equal parts of devcon with no DA I tried heating till the bubbles left .Quickly started painting but the devcon 30min had started to set and things got real ugly so i did not try again . Another method i tried was to mix for 3 min with a paper clip as to not create bubbles this was perfectly clear and shiny the next day but was not set properly and i could peel it off with my nial. I am going to try coating a few dummy lures because if i ruin any more of the ones i have spent so much time on it will drive me insane.Just to add more pain i thought maybe i had purchased a bad batch of devcon .So from another store ordered a pack of 6- 9 oz bottles gues what every single one of them turned yellow i got my money back but still a pain .The temp in the room is just about 60 maybe its to cold The humidity is 73%

Now i am going to build a brick wall and use my head to hurt it ?

If Devcon is anything like e-tex and someone please correct me if i'm wrong but you need to create the bubbles. You need to stir it fast as the bubbles create the catalyst required for the epoxy to bond.

I use equal parts using a medicinal measuring cup. These cups have cc's, ml's, drams, oz and tbs written on them. I initially pour the resin and hardener in two seperate nylon bottles (like ketchup bottles) and squeeze the required quantity directly into to the cup using the cup's measurements. As an example, I fill resin to 2oz and then the hardener to 4oz.

Mix vigoursly for 2 minutes,( bubbles are so thick that everything will look white) let set for a minute. Use a straw to blow out the bubbles( Don't strive to blow out all the bubbles initially ). Wait 2-3 minutes then apply the epoxy to the lure. Blow the bubbles that are left on the lure with the straw and you will see the bubbles disipate. Be carefull not to blow too hard as you don't want the water that gets formed in the straw to get on the lure.

If you're still having problems with Devcon, swtich over to e-tex.

s54

Thanks for the help i am going to try some of the above recommendations and see how i get on .Etex lite has crossed my mind is it any good over foil? would like to buy DN but because i live in ireland shipping is a problem. I am currently trying to find i similar mcu non yellowing product over here but not having much luck

i just finished coating around 200 baits with devcon. Dont worry about the bubbles while mixing. If you have bubbles while applying i think your putting it on too thick. If you go too thick with a coat it will also cause a little yellowing. Just keep at it. Once you get the feel for it they will turn out great.

I am going to give dimensions of the lure and amout of epoxy i have been using .lure length 90ml x 20 ml x 12ml i use one full 1.0 ml syringe epoxy + One full hardner 3 drops of DA.I do not use the same syringe for the mixtures but i do reuse them i also mix with an end of a spoon in a glass ramakin

I'm pretty sure you're having a mixing issue. Measuring by syringe makes getting the proportions right fairly easy. You might try mixing a bigger batch, even if you're not going to use it all. Also, make sure and scrape all sides of the mixing container to involve every bit of the epoxy in the mixing. I generally don't worry about having a little bit left over because then I can "test" the left-overs for full cure at any time and it doesn't mess with the lure finish. If some part of the mixing cup cures and another part does not, you didn't mix it well enough. I use disposable mixing cups (1 or 2 oz) from a restaraunt supply store...no clean-up and left-over epoxy stays in the cup to cure so it can be inspected to check for problems. If mixing is perfect, all the left-over epoxy will cure and can be pulled out of the cup in one piece.