ravenlures

Sealer

Woodieb8

When I first stated making baits I used sanding sealer with lacquer paints but quickly left after experiencing air bubbles in paint when the bait got hot. I thought maybe it was due to not letting the sealer dry properly or humidity issues when applied to bait. Since your familiar with the product, any thoughts about what may have been giving me grief?

The other thing about deft sanding sealer is how loud the smell. For sure a ventilated activity.

I think the topcoat is what keeps the finish from rupturing due to heat expansion. I've had cured epoxy used for a seal coat rupture when heated hot enough during painting. The air pressure concentrates in a section of the wood that has open grain and voila. Not saying all sanding sealers aren't tough enough - I haven't tried them all - but they are designed to fill open grains in wood after sanding as a smooth base to carry later finish layers - not to be tough and impermeable.

OK Thompsons is out. How about a two part epoxy A & B from Component Systems I have tried it and it hardens and soaks in pretty good. What you think? anybody ever use it on Maple or Basswood

Use whatever you aregoing to use as a topcoat. Etex, devcon, DN. I use etex to seal my wood and I use it as a topcoat also!

Wood has some odd characteristics which show up as wood reacts with moisture, water or chemical. As wood absorbs moisture it swells, as it dries it shrinks. Keep this in mind when choosing your piece of wood to carve or when you lay the heat to your paints. I would think that the sealer that dries the quickest without penitration would be the best if it meets all the other requirements. Musky Glenn