spinman

Lake Trout Plugs

I am looking to return a favor to a friend that is an avid Macinaw troller down in the Sierras in California. He has a ton of plugs but thought I would try to find someone here that might be into making them and/or know someone that does. I am looking for something extra special, probably in a rainbow trout or brown trout pattern. Appreciate any help...

what kind of plugs?sizes?will it be used on a downrigger?

Well, I am not 100% on it but I know he does a lot of downrigger stuff but does some flat lining as well. I was thinking of plugs that could be used both ways so deep diver and a short lip. I was hoping to find something on the larger side because he catches some big fish. Kind of have to rely on people like you that are into the plugs as I am a blade guy and no experience with lake trout. I know the rainbow trout and brown trout colors are good and maybe even a swim bait? I am thinking baits in the 6-9" range...

i used to be first mate on a charter boat out of tawas mi and caught a few lake trout (ok 100s of lakers)along with samon and browns if we trolled plugs it was rapalas on the long lines,the lakers we trolled Hot and tots alot and the lake trout loved them(yea we lost a few plugs to the bottom too)blue and silver or chartruse were the go to baits up there for lakers along with flashers and plastic squid i think you would do well on trout colors out west as the lakes are stocked alot out there but you might try some basic colors too hope this helps you could also get him a trolling spoon set that he can put together and fish with???he might like that too