EironBreaker

Wire Weed Guard In Aluminum Mold

Smalljaw,

You asked a question about filling the weed guard slot in an aluminum mold temporarly with silicon. All you need to do is take the plastic coating from electrical wire to fill the slot. I can't remember what guage of wire is the right size but just cut a short section and pull out the copper wire. Insert your wire cable into the plastic sleeve and set this into your mold, close it up and pour. Works perfect everytime. Just have to line the edge of the plastic sleeve with the base of the guard slot and not into the cavity itself.

Matt

Smalljaw,

You asked a question about filling the weed guard slot in an aluminum mold temporarly with silicon. All you need to do is take the plastic coating from electrical wire to fill the slot. I can't remember what guage of wire is the right size but just cut a short section and pull out the copper wire. Insert your wire cable into the plastic sleeve and set this into your mold, close it up and pour. Works perfect everytime. Just have to line the edge of the plastic sleeve with the base of the guard slot and not into the cavity itself.

Matt

Do you have a picture of it? There is so much electrical wire that I don't really know which I would use or even where to start looking. If I do find it I imagine it would be the very thing I need.

For wire weedguards I usually just use a rubber skirt collar but for wire weedguards that are slightly thicker I fisd the skirt collar to be far from good, most of the time it isn't on center which makes the weedguard almost useless so I was thinking filling the void with a high temp putty or silicone and then making a slot but an insert would be a lot easier.

It is either 12 or 14 gage wire. Just go to your local parts store or even Wal Mart. A spool of it costs a few dollars. Or look in your local dollar store, might find it cheaper. Or go to your auto repair place and ask the mechanic if he has any short pieces of wire, he'd likely give it to you if you told him what you were trying to do. Take your mold with you and test fit it. What size you need depends on the mold you are using, some use a smaller weed guard than the 1/8". I'd rather spend a few dollars on wire than mess with a mold that I'll need to clean out later.

I use a 65 lb braided cable. If it isn't perfectly straight after the pour, I just bend it a little to where it needs to be. After catching some fish, it sometimes gets bent out of shape also but can be bent back in place no problem. What type of wire guard are you using?

No Jig Man, not exactly. I have an older version of that mold though.

What I'm talking about is putting the wire you want as the weed guard inside of the plastic sleeve so the sleeve stops the lead from flowing out the weed guard slot when you pour. The wire guard is extended into the mold so the lead holds the base of it in place after you pour it. The sleeve stops right at the edge of the cavity. It looks like you are making a hole to place the guard into after your pour, correct? The way I do it, you don't have to mess with glueing the cable in place. One less step. If I understand what you are showing correctly.