aaron4mvp

Shaping Jitterbug Plugs

I was wondering if any of you make jitterbug type lures?

If you do, what do you use to shape the mouth where the jitterbug bill goes. I bought some lips from lure parts online and was wondering what to use to shape the lure so the bill fits against it.

I was thinking maybe a band saw or end of the belt sander, but thought maybe somebody has a different way of doing it?

@ aaron4mvp

I've made a few before , ..turned them down on a lathe out of buoyant abachewood , .......made them in a kind of elongated teardrop shape , also a bit tapered towards the rounded nose .

Sanded down the lip plane on a sanding disc freehanded , ...should sit at 45° to the blanks center axis .

The shaping of the nose on the lathe requires planful processing , ........if it becomes tapered and rounded too pronounced , the sanded 45° plane might become too short for all the mounting screws covering it , ...or , ...in other words , ....you might have to sand off quite a bit of material from the nose to achieve a sufficiently long plane for coverage of the screws .

For my first one I've used stainless steel lips , but found these to be too heavy , ...my Jitterbugs would never float up level this way but head-down , ........since I go for aluminium lips exclusively .

But I've also made Jitterbug-style lures out of rectangular timberboards , ...these also worked fine , ...have a look in my gallery :

http://www.tackleund...tyle-topwaters/

Please check next(or previous ??) pictures as well .

Good luck , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

Went out and played around on this today.

First pic should give you an idea of the length.

I left the tag ends on so that I could take it from the lathe to a table saw, or miter box and cut the 45 degree angles.

The two halves will allow the use of a thru wire design.

DSCN4029.jpg

Good pics of the 45 degree angle.I've also left a flat surface at the top and bottom.

That, and the taper, can be sanded or shaped.

DSCN4042.jpg

You can there is about a 1" width for mounting the front lip.

DSCN4050.jpg

Hope this gives you some good ideas. Good luck!