Grey Ghost

Filthy Glider Action, But Floats. Would You Tweek Weighting?

I just got 2 new Amma Bama's to join my collection of 7. Typical with wood jerk baits or gliders is that two identical lures have slightly different action. Both new Bama's have tremendous action, eradic glides with a lot of belly roll/flash. However, one of the gliders floats vs your typical neutral bouyancy or slow fall rate (1 ft/sec). It doesn't act like q typical walk the dog topwater, but dives a foot or two during jerks. If you see the action on this one, it truely is the filthiest action I have ever seen, filthy in a really good way. So the question.... Would you play with the weighting to achieve more "normal" running depth for a typical 8 inch, drop belly style musky glider. Or leave it alone and fish it the way it is. If I leave it unchanged, I see it as more of a twitch bait in terms of speed to keep it below the water. Not a bad thing, just different. What are your thoughts. I also fear that if I mess with it, i'll ruin the awesome action it already has.

After reading a lot of posts over the years, I feel i should describe what the "typical" action should be for this bait. A lot of people read into "glider" or "jerkbait" differently. In my world, musky fishing, a glider is a bait that falls at a slow rate (6 to 12 inches / second) with the bait being horizontal during the fall. When "jerked", I mean a tap of the rod pulling the bait forward a foot or two, which causes the bait to walk the dog (glide) under the surface. Many different gliders are out there as you all know, with different actions. But for me, the desired action is an erratic glide of 6 to 12 inches side to side with a belly roll when the rod tip is tapped (jerked) and again when the lure ends its glide. The Amma Bama is shown below. The one I am asking about acts like a glider perfectly, but floats back to the surface slowly after the end of the jerk. When I tap the rod tip, it glides in a downward direction (similar to a Suick) but in more of a glide fashion, but then rises to the surface as a Suick would. I am really intrigued with this action! Have any of you been able to make a bait with this kind of action?

ab003a.jpg

I personally wouldn't alter the bait but If I was building one, I would consider these two options. Wood type and ballast placement. To achieve the action you're looking for, I would place 1/2 oz of lead halfway between the belly and nose hangers.

I use hardwoods for my gliders but for this application I would try 7/8'' cedar and I would bore 3 holes in the back 5/8'' in diameter 1/2'' apart and 1/2'' deep out of the back as close to the tail section without compromising the integrity of the lure. Then I would fill these 3 holes with packing foam. Now, the path of least resistance on this lure should be the tail. Therefore if the nose of the bait is pointed downwards, it should rise diagonally tail first on the pause.

The 9'' gliders I make suspend horizontally when jerked or pulled. I designed them that way so they stay in the strike zone. But now that you brought this topic up, I just may have to try your idea myself LoL!!

s54

Thanks for the reply Seeking 54. I am still seeking that 50+ incher ;) Have caught 4 muskys at 49 inches, but haven't yet gotten the magic 50. That packing foam idea is a good one. I have a couple blanks carved out but I haven't begun weighting them yet. The Amma's I just bought are straight from Bill, the maker from WV. I have had tremendous luck with his baits, but this floater I just got really threw me for a loop. And the more I think about it, I won't be changing a thing with it, but will attempt to replicate! It is like an unweighted Suick but with sharp gliding and big time belly roll action. The coloring is silver sides and belly, with silver sparkles and a black back. It looks just like a dying Cisco struggling on the top of the water column down to around 12-18 inches. Definately more shallow than I would normally say a good glider should run, but wow, it is just filthy! Cant wait to get some teeth in it. Up here in MN we have to wait till June for Musky opener :( Tight lines to you!

I got one from Bill a few years back and it's a floater as well...not what I was expecting but I'm sure it has it's application nonetheless. HR's Hughey is a well crafted one as well.

Ahhhh that elusive 50'' LoL! I've been targeting larger muskies as of the last few years, they're definetly a different beast.

I have to wait for June as well. Tight lines to you too!

s54

I made this glider (pic below) which is alittle over 7 inches long and 3/4 inches wide. It is made out of cedar and I was trying to get it to sink slowly or have neutral bouyancy. Instead I have a floating glider like the one you are talking about grey ghost. I don't remember the amount of weight I used but I did put it around the belly hook hanger trying to get it to sink horizontally. It glides downward just under the surface maybe up to a foot then floats back to the surface. When I cast it out and just retrieve it has a lazy belly roll action. I really wanted it to sink but back to the ballast board on the next one. I have tried it off my dock and have had a number of strikes by northern pike and have caught one pike. I hope it will caught me that big musky when the season opens it June.

Floating glider