quickdraw

Fish Eyes

I just recieved an order of 13mm 3D fish eyes from Lureparts.nl. They are sticky backed. When I use these on my future builds I will be putting these on before my topcoat. I'm wondering how well these will stick to my existing plugs if I just stick them on and don't put Epoxy over the top. Any idea?

Even though the eyes have a sticky back I still use a tiny drop of super glue to stick the eyes on. I then top coat over this and have had no problems with the eyes coming off.

Ben

BINGO! What Ben said.

Talked to John at Bogs Baits, (also on the suppliers page), who explained, "you will need to either dip the lure in clear plastic to keep the eyes on or epoxy over them. The adhesive is good but no 3d eye will stay on any lure without a good top coat."

Good man.

I tried the Super Glue dot on the back but it is too messy when the eye slips around. I'll just need to put another coat of epoxy on my existing plugs after putting on the eyes. On the new plugs it will just be part of the process.

If your using 3D eyes there should be a recess in the bait for the eye to sit into so it doesn't slide around. Whether it's a plastic bait or one you've built yourself out of wood. And instead of trying to put the glue on the back of the eye I put the small drop of glue in that recess. That way when the eye is pressed in it spreads the glue out evenly under the eye.

If your using flat, stick on eyes then I wouldn't worry about gluing them down. The adhesive on the back is plenty to hold it until you get your top coat on. The flat eyes don't stick up enough to really cause a problem of getting caught on anything that will tear them off after the top coat is applied. And especially if your using epoxy for a top coat you should have no problems loosing an eye as the epoxy is pretty tough.

Ben

• Like 1

Had I cut a recess then I can see where the glue idea would work great. I'm probably just too anxious at finally getting these eye after hand painting eyes to this point. I'll need to settle down take the time and effort to do a little Dremel work on the existing plugs I have and work this extra step into building the new ones. Thanks for the information.

Had I cut a recess then I can see where the glue idea would work great. I'm probably just too anxious at finally getting these eye after hand painting eyes to this point. I'll need to settle down take the time and effort to do a little Dremel work on the existing plugs I have and work this extra step into building the new ones. Thanks for the information.

I've tried cutting the eye sockets with a Dremel and couldn't get a good, clean hole. There are some folks who have a steady enough hand and eye sight to do this, but I'm not one of them. I prefer to use a brad point bit to cut the recess for the eyes in the baits I build. Others use a Forstner bit with good results. I'm not sure about the Forstner bit, but the brad point bits have a sharp point that makes it easy to center the bit where you want the hole.

The recesses for the eyes don't have to be very deep. Just deep enough that the edge of the eye will have support all around it. You also want the hole to be just large enough that the eye will slip into it and not have a lot of slop.

good luck,

Ben

Like Ben, I'd only use 3D eyes in sockets, or possibly on a lure with flat sides. Trying to fix them on a curved surface is an exercise in frustration whether you try to glue them on or not. I freehand a Dremel to make eye sockets but it requires lots of hand control and I only do it in raw wood, not into epoxy or other finishes because the bit (a cylinder shaping bit) wants to wander on hard surfaces. Unless its a special request, I'm partial to painted eyes because I like their more traditional look.

I put eyes on 2 existing and 2 new plugs I had. 1 plug had flat sides and the other 3 were curved. I then put 2 coats of marine epoxy over the entire plug. The sticky back actually held well enough to epoxy them and the flow of the epoxy filled in well around the eyes. They have a slight bug eye effect which I kind of like on these big plugs. I'll start trying a few ways to counter sink the eye sockets as I have another 20 new and used plugs to put them on. It will be a process though to not only counter sink but also seal the wood in the new eye sockets.

Edited by quickdraw

I put eyes on 2 existing and 2 new plugs I had. 1 plug had flat sides and the other 3 were curved. I then put 2 coats of marine epoxy over the entire plug. The sticky back actually held well enough to epoxy them and the flow of the epoxy filled in well around the eyes. They have a slight bug eye effect which I kind of like on these big plugs. I'll start trying a few ways to counter sink the eye sockets as I have another 20 new and used plugs to put them on. It will be a process though to not only counter sink but also seal the wood in the new eye sockets.

Not sure what type of lures you have on hand for refinishing, but I wouldn't try drilling eye sockets into plastic baits that don't already have them. The wall thickness of the plastic is more than likely too thin to add recesses in and you will end up drilling a hole in the bait. Don't ask me how I know this. :oooh::censored:

Ben

Not sure what type of lures you have on hand for refinishing, but I wouldn't try drilling eye sockets into plastic baits that don't already have them. The wall thickness of the plastic is more than likely too thin to add recesses in and you will end up drilling a hole in the bait. Don't ask me how I know this. :oooh::censored:

Ben

I'm building 10" & 13" trout imitations or should I say imitation trout. I'm using 2"x2" basswood so I have plenty or room for eyes. It was quite the search to find and actually get someone to ship 1/2" (13mm) 3D eyes. The first eyes that I just stuck on came out well and I just drilled out 2 more plugs to countersink the next ones. They are probably more durable like that but with 2 coats of marine epoxy over these first few I think they will hold up well, at least till a 30lb striper has it's way with them.

Edited by quickdraw