sammy01007

Clear Coat Becoming Stained

I have been spraying Minwax Helmsman indoor/outdoor Spar Urethane as the top coat for my swimbaits, but finding it is become stained by the murky water that I am fishing in. I am giving the lures 2 coats and allowing 72 hours before use.

Should I be using a different product or am I do something wrong?

Thanks

Are you sure it isnt just turning amber colored from exposure to ultra violet light?

From personal experience, I think Sonny's got it. Before I even found TU, I dabbled around with spraying baits with rattle cans and, not knowing any better, I used Helmsman for a topcoat. I found that it'll turn stark white into the purtiest bone color you've ever seen in just a few weeks.

According to the can, it is suppose to protect colors (paint) from UV light, but which ever is causing the clear coat to discolor, I'll need to find something new.

I have found trying to apply epoxy to a swim bait difficult, but maybe it's the way I'll have to go. I may try one other rattle can spray first though. Let you all know if it turns out any better. Or, try spraying some sort of auto clear. My brother is an auto-body tech, so i should recruit him to spray them for me :).

According to the can, it is suppose to protect colors (paint) from UV light, but which ever is causing the clear coat to discolor, I'll need to find something new.

I have found trying to apply epoxy to a swim bait difficult, but maybe it's the way I'll have to go. I may try one other rattle can spray first though. Let you all know if it turns out any better. Or, try spraying some sort of auto clear. My brother is an auto-body tech, so i should recruit him to spray them for me :).

Man, he would be my new best friend!!! Hahaha

Thanks G

That was a big help!!

I was talking to my brother about the auto clears. He said the stuff you can get at the autoparts store in spray cans is not nearly as hard as the stuff they spray in the shop. I think I may still give it a shot since being able to spray a top coat makes life so much easier, lol. He suggested 4 coats since the coats go on thin.

I checked all the other cans of spray at HD and no other was recomeneded for outdoor use. Oh well, back to square one. Maybe I'll be back to using the ol' lure turner soon enough.

The stuff they spray in the shop is two part catalyzed auto clear. The stuff you get in a rattle can is much less durable. Night and day difference. Excellent idea to con your bro into doing it for you! You don't want to spray catalyzed auto clear at home without a rated respirator and a very good air exhaust/filtration system. It's toxic stuff!