Tag

First Timer

Ok this is my first post, I have been leeching around long enough. What do they say, "first time, long time" lol. I have just completed my first lure thanks to all of you who provide valuable information for newbies like me. I started all the way on the last page of the forums and sifted through everything before starting, and boy am I glad I did. Hopefully one day I can knock out some baits as well as all of you. So here it is, my version of Tomato Craw, let the critiques fly!

Tomato Craw.jpg

Tomato Craw.jpg

Tomato Craw.jpg

Tomato Craw.jpg

Tomato Craw.jpg

Tomato Craw.jpg

Tomato Craw.jpg

Tomato Craw.jpg

post-29784-0-42113600-1342214919_thumb.jpg

Looks great Tag.

Like the way you did the eyes. Never understood why painted eyes only had two colors.

You did a great job on those.

Did you do the stippling with an airbrush and stencil?

Looks great Tag.

Like the way you did the eyes. Never understood why painted eyes only had two colors.

You did a great job on those.

Did you do the stippling with an airbrush and stencil?

Thanks guys, actually those are Jurassic Eyes. I dont like how the eyes stick out so I put the eyes on right after I get done gluing the 2 halves together, then I clear it with etex. durring painting I just get a q-tip with some alcohol and clean it off. I like doing it this way because with the silver in the eyes I can shoot any color of transparent paint and make some really cool effects

I use alumilite white. I call it the Big Belly Shad because when you look at it from the top/bottom it looks like a baitfish just had a heafty meal. It has a wide erratic wobble and it hunts. the little veer that it does looks exactly like a small baitfish turning on some forrage. It does it because of the shape I made the belly. The first prototypes of this lure were too erratic and would shake themselves silly so i just continued to shave the sides untill i found the action i liked. 9 times out of 10 with this bait it gets hit as soon as it makes the little shooting motion

Yes, it is the very first lure ive completed. I didnt bother painting any of the prototypes i just figured alumilite white is enough. I found the design that worked and just got my rtv mold done last week. Perfectionism should be a certifiable condition... im not very familiar with an airbrush so i messed up a lot and had to strip it.

Ive only had the airbrush for a month and this is the first lure ive tried it on. I used it quiet a bit on newsprint to get the hang of it. Funny thing is i didnt even know you could thin the paint, i blew 2 paintjobs in a row on this guy because of splatter. thinned it and WOW what a difference. Needless to say that paintjob would not have happened if it werent for the members on TU.

Well Sonny it "could" be in your taklebox..... Thank you honestly guys. I did a lot of homework and research on TU so it feels like I have been painting for 3 months now haha. I wanted to do a color that I could have fun with and learn from. I didnt want to paint a basic shad pattern because my thoughts were that if I can knock out a decent looking craw pattern, then the shad will be no problem. I might try my hand at something a little harder this time I have a handfull of them ready to paint