J lure

Top Water-jitter Bug Style Lure Problems

Hey guys

I'm trying to make a top water-jitter bug style bait that floats. The problem is the bait spins in a circle as I reel it in instead of a left to right motion. The bib/lip makes the lure spin in a propeller action instead of the jitter action. As of right now I have the line eye directly centered in the center of the bait. Does the eye location matter and if so where? I have no clue what I am doing wrong here. Any help or thoughts?

Here is a poor illustration of what my lure set up is and what it looks like.

topwater jitter.png

topwater jitter.png

topwater jitter.png

topwater jitter.png

topwater jitter.png

topwater jitter.png

topwater jitter.png

topwater jitter.png

post-24685-0-35875000-1345076826_thumb.png

I'll have to look at one of my old jitter bugs to see how it sits.

Offhand I'd say the bill/lip has to be at the front of the bait, with the line tie coming through it, and the bill angled so that it is higher and more toward the front of the lure at the top, and sloping back so the lower edge is farther back toward the rear. That way it acts like an extended cup face on a popper, and not like a diving bill on a crank.

Mark explained it well. Also the jitterbug picture you posted shows where the line tie should be. I have made several jitterbug lures using bibs from lure parts online and the line tie is built right into the top of the bib. The picture for your inspiration if more of a crepper lure, not a jitterbig. I would try adding a split ring to see if that stops it from spinning. If that doesn't work I would try and relocate the line tie.

Also the Jitterbug

So what do you have now , ....a "Jitterbug" with a front lip or a "Crazy Crawler"(Creeper) style bait with a set of wings ?

With the first one the lip should sit at about 45° degrees , lie tie is integrated into the top of the lip , ........with the second bait all depends on the way that the wings are mounted and adjusted , .........I could sent you some pictures of "Creeper" instruction sheets in English by PM(smaller 650 pixel pics) or your private Email addy(original size pics) .

Just drop me a line , ...greetz , diemai :yay:

• Like 1

If you want a top water type bait you could put the bill 90° to the bait and possibly make it a wake bait. You would have to get rid of the "wings" and ballast the bait so it wouldn't roll over and with a slow retrieve you could get the desired effect you're after.

A picture of the actual lure would help. Trying to diagnose a problem by looking at an artists conception (your drawing) of what the bait looks like is pretty much impossible. And from the sounds of it you would need to take multiple photos showing different viewing angles for anyone to be able to tell if the "wings" were both set at the same angle, same size, etc.

Ben

There is a soft plastic bait that walks like that. I think it's called the Basirisky. The flexible wings are set at the rear of the bait, and face forward. It alternates from one wing to the other on the retrieve, and moves a lot of water.

Here's a picture of it:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Deps_Basirisky_Hard_Belly_Frog/descpage-BHBF.html

I hope this helps.

heres my thoughts it sounds like the bait is not weighted on the belly at all and the wings/bib catching the water pull it under to that side spinning the bait ,where if you weight the belly so the bait still floats close to level or tail down slightly the weight would counter balance the wing/bib and should keep it in the upright pos.

I believe that it was all in the angle of the jitterbug lip/bib. I went and bought a protractor and made several other lures with different and more accurate angles. I will keep you all posted once I test them. After research it seems like 45* is the magic number and my original was more like 70*. Oops!