Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

CSG,

If you check out page 4 (I think)of the "amazing Clear Cast" post there is a link to this stuff.It can be sprayed or brushed however it says it can be thinned by nuking it for a few seconds in a microwave.. I'm hoping after heating I can dip it...Nathan

Ok...if this stuff holds up to an immersion test (which I am doing now) this will be my clear going forward. No mixing, I put it on with a brush but you can spray it. It is lighter than epoxy, it is extremely hard after only 10 minutes of dry time (I just put it in the sunlite and spun it every 2-3 minutes so that each part of the bait hit direct sunlight for a few minutes). There is no mixing no waste...very little goes a long way. You do not have to place it on a wheel (it does not run or sag). It seems much lighter, adds no significant weight to bait ( I put it on a postage scale). The only difference in the finish from epoxy is that this seems to give a satin finish instead of a high gloss finish (don't know if that is a deal breaker for some). I really like it. Can't wait to bang it off the rocks! Here are the photos of 3 baits I put it on ...Don't hate on the paint jobs, I didn't want to spend too much time on the paint in case this stuff did not work...I have no doubt I would put this on my best paint!

I have had it under water for almost 12 hours. The finish has not clouded up one bit, same as when I put it on. I have 2 coats on it. Levels out real nice ... No brush marks or sags/runs. I spoke to one person who has field tested along a bunch of rock banks and he said it will scratch but will not chip or lift.

This stuff sounds perfect. Heck, I haven't even had the time to test the ACC. Looking forward to hearing more about this magical "no hassle" just-add-light clear coat.

FYI Nathan, I've always appreciated your sunfish lure. I remember reading about it in tackle tour if I'm not mistaken.

I got mine in today but haven't tried it yet. I've used UV cure adhesives at work for a few years now and it's really a neat technology. Fast like super glue but it doesn't set up until you expose it to light, and it also fills gaps well. The one downside is you can't use it in places that cannot be exposed to light. That's OK for a topcoat but it may not work so well as an adhesive behind anything that's not transparent. I have a little unit for curing fingernail finishes that I bought on eBay to use for other projects so that's what I plan to use. There are inexpensive fluorescent UV lights that should work fine, have even seen full-size fluorescent tubes at Home depot. Always be really careful about eye exposure when using UV light. There are clear safety glasses that block UV if you have to work around it. I just put my light unit inside an opaque box.

Does it turn yellow - with age or in the sun? If so how much time does it take to see the yellowing?

Do skirts or rubber adhere to it?

Does it cover stick on eyes?

Just wondering.

John

Not supposed to yellow...new to me I have to give it time

I would say yes skirts will bond to it if left on

it will cover eyes I took two coats to cover the eyes