martbaz

Painting

Alright so I did a few blanks and my baits are ready for paint but I am not set up for this yet

I did find some airbrushes at princess auto was planning on getting the cheap ones just to start to get a feel for it then eventually upgrade to a better gun the cost of the cheaper one is round 40$ am I just wasting money or can I still get somewhat of a feel for it ? I know that the finished product won't be as good but I ain't looking for perfection just yet...

Second can I just prime my baits using an automotive primer in a can?

And where do you guys find that createx?

I am a Canadian so store might be a bit different at times but it would still give me an idea of where to look thanks guys

The waterproofing, paint, and topcoat you put on a lure is a SYSTEM, and it has to be compatible if you want to avoid problems with adhesion. The simplest system that works well is probably epoxy-paint-epoxy. If you mix solvent based primer with solvent based topcoats, it's a crap shoot. Some work, some don't and you won't know until you put on the topcoat and see whether it bubbles, delaminates, etc. Personally, I don't like using auto primer on any crankbait. It leaves a stink that never goes away and whether it actually promotes adhesion of water based paint questionable.

There's a lot of confusion about undercoating - waterproofing - priming - color basecoating, etc. You have to waterproof (aka undercoat) wood lures to improve their durability and prevent the water in water based paint from causing the wood grain to rise. Primers make solvent based paint adhere to metal surfaces. Most of us don't paint metal crankbaits and most don't use solvent based paints. Color basecoating is put on after the waterproofing/undercoating to hide wood grain and hardware and give you a consistent opaque (usually white) surface to paint. Most of us use white water based airbrush paint for this. A simple system: undercoat the wood with 30 minute or epoxy, lightly sand it, basecoat with white paint, paint the colors, topcoat with the same epoxy.

Createx is the most popular airbrush paint because it's sold more places and has a reputation for consistency. Check art supply shops and crafting stores for it. I like Createx but use any brand of water based airbrush paint, just depending on color I want. Airbrushes: yep, you get what you pay for but you have to buy what you can afford. Better airbrushes spray better, give fewer problems, and last indefinitely. One fairly economical airbrush that will last, give great service, and has the right-sized tip (.3mm) for crankbait painting is the Iwata Revolution BR.

I'm certainly not saying that you can't strike out on your own and use different coatings; just recommending a few that are time-tested.