Hokieangler

Super Lube

Looking for any suggestions as an alternative to Iwata superlube! I don't want to have to order a 7 dollar item and pay 5 dollars shipping! My paint is drying on the tip of my brush very quickly! I don't know there may even be an additive like floetroll to slow down how quickly the paint dries!

Any suggestions?

Edited by Hokieangler

Try googling Createx Thinner. There are some formulas for homemade thinner/reducer. Some versions call for Windex. But I have read that any window cleaner with ammonia can be bad for plating on airbrushes. The ammonia will attack chrome. But some use straingt windex to thin createx. Just make sure you really clean your airbrush when finished painting to get rid of any ammonia residue. Other formulas use water, isopropanol and Pledge with future shine acrylic floor polish. It has some clean acrylic polymer in it. That helps with createx flow thru an airbrush. I thought wally's has the floor polish. There are 2 types of Pledge -one for wood floor and one for tile. I think the one for tile is the one to use.

Oh I think the super lube is to lubricate the o-rings, valve, and needle to make it easier to control the paint/air flow.

Edited by EdL

All I can add it that it pays to clean your brush after each coat of paint, if you've emptied the cup. If there's still a good amount of paint in the cup, you can let it sit while you dry the fresh coat of paint, but don't let it sit for more than a minute. If my paint is taking longer to dry for some reason, I'll pick up the air brush and shoot a little more paint through it to keep the tip wet.

But backflushing with lots of clean water between coats is really the key for me to keep my brush working.

• Like 1

Looking for any suggestions as an alternative to Iwata superlube! I don't want to have to order a 7 dollar item and pay 5 dollars shipping! My paint is drying on the tip of my brush very quickly! I don't know there may even be an additive like floetroll to slow down how quickly the paint dries!

Any suggestions?

H.A

Been using this for years - Fill with the appropiate thinner for the paint in use, stand the tip in this every time you pause in spraying, it should eat the paint off the tip---Just remember to give the 'brush' a quick blast before you start spraying to blow off the drops.

I used a tapered nozzle / cap, off a small 'silicone sealant' tube.

Pete

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

air 7.JPG

air 8.JPG

post-15507-0-40147100-1355216284_thumb.jpg

post-15507-0-72616700-1355216298_thumb.jpg

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 3

H.A

Been using this for years - Fill with the appropiate thinner for the paint in use, stand the tip in this every time you pause in spraying, it should eat the paint off the tip---Just remember to give the 'brush' a quick blast before you start spraying to blow off the drops.

Pete

Great idea......

H.A

Pete

Impressive! If only I could keep my work surface that tidy ;)

• Like 1

H.A

Pete

Thank you for the post and the picture! I see see one in my future!

Try googling Createx Thinner. There are some formulas for homemade thinner/reducer. Some versions call for Windex. But I have read that any window cleaner with ammonia can be bad for plating on airbrushes. The ammonia will attack chrome. But some use straingt windex to thin createx. Just make sure you really clean your airbrush when finished painting to get rid of any ammonia residue. Other formulas use water, isopropanol and Pledge with future shine acrylic floor polish. It has some clean acrylic polymer in it. That helps with createx flow thru an airbrush. I thought wally's has the floor polish. There are 2 types of Pledge -one for wood floor and one for tile. I think the one for tile is the one to use.

Oh I think the super lube is to lubricate the o-rings, valve, and needle to make it easier to control the paint/air flow.

Thanks

Where do you buy glycerine ?

you get it at the pharmacy. its a clear liquid. just add a few drops to your paint, mix well. you will see it works. if you dont get what you want, add a few more drops till it does. i use it all the time.

glycerine works for me and a lot more people.

Something to think about when adding anything to paint or even if trying something not specifically made to lube the parts of an airbrush- Does the stuff have anything in it like silicone that would mess up the paint or the top coat finish? Even if the paint flows and drys on the lure if there is anything like silicone some finishes/topcoats may not behave properly. Best to experiment first on something else like a dowel, pvc tube, or an old botched up lure (unfortunately I have a few) to see if there is a problem rather than try on a lure you have some build time invested.

Something to think about when adding anything to paint or even if trying something not specifically made to lube the parts of an airbrush- Does the stuff have anything in it like silicone that would mess up the paint or the top coat finish? Even if the paint flows and drys on the lure if there is anything like silicone some finishes/topcoats may not behave properly. Best to experiment first on something else like a dowel, pvc tube, or an old botched up lure (unfortunately I have a few) to see if there is a problem rather than try on a lure you have some build time invested.

Good idea! I have a few too! I don't know if you have seen any of my baits, I feel I have a long way to go! It just makes that journey seem alot longer when you have to deal with this kind of stuff. That''s learning and you can never stop that!