biggamefish

Jointed Gliding Swimbaits

hey guys, i just wanted to know how are you guys placing leads on these type of bait to get the gliding action and ballasting? what kind of shape leads are u using? I only have cylinder shape leads as of right now one is a little 3 gram one and the other is a 8gram one .

I carved out a two piece 8" bait and didnt want to screw up so i hope someone can help me out thanks

No formula for me, i just put what looks right where it looks right. I've made a few so I definitely know what not to do. Don't mean I can tell you what will work for you. If I were you I'd add weight where you think it may be needed and throw it in the water and see how it swims. If something needs to change then I have something to go by.

Amount and size and location varry so much from one class of bait, one shape of bait, and when made of wood one bait to another, that I sure could not give you any formula.  I think I know what weights you are using, and they are a good start, but I don't use them.

Most of the time I will drill a hole and use #9 lead shot.  It takes a larger hole then if you used the solid weights you mention, but it allows more flexibility. 

One other thing I have done is to make a mold out of Silicone mold putty.  Yes, you can pour lead into that mold and get quite a few before it goes bad.  I take different sizes of wood dowles and push them into the mold putty to get the depth and width I want.

I hope this helps some.  I am sure there are others here that have great ideas on this as well.