capt mike

Hard Bait Resin Combo

I am trying to make a slow sink bait with featherlite and smooth cast 300.  I have made only floating baits so far.  I know that a half and half pour (300 on bottom and FL on top) plus hardware, paint and two coats of clear, works out to be a heavy floater.

Just wondering if anyone has worked out an approximate ratio for these two which will render a slow sink bait.  And i'm wondering if using straight floating resin with lead in the bottom gives a better action on a slow sink.  I know I will figure it out through trial and error eventually, but would appreciate a few hints from someone who has tried this already.

From my experience, you will attain the best action by keeping the bait as least dense as possible and then adding weight to acquire the desired buoyancy.

I tried adjusting the density a few years back and quickly realized that the action on my swimbaits was severely hindered.  In addition, I found it very difficult to control the density of the lures to that level.  Several variables play roles in how the resin will set.  Humidity and temperature only take small differences to really change how a lure comes out.  

I weigh each of my lures on a small digital scale and use the same amount of filler each time as well as use syringes to precisely measure out equal parts of resin.  I even run a timer so that I mix the resin together for the same amount of time every time.  Though this methodology does provide substantially more consistent weights in my lures, I still have a noticeable degree of variance between pours.  I've even noticed that normally my first pour of the night is slightly more dense than the pours that follow.  I think this is because the mold warms a little bit from the first pour, but I can't tell the difference just by touch.