xXT.WARDXx

Euipment For Airbrushing

I have searched through the forums and haven't been able to really find what i was looking for so i figured i should just start a new topic and hopefully all you guys will read it and help me out.

For the airbrush i was originally looking at the iwata revolution br to use for painting my crankbaits but i looking to see if i could find a little cheaper gun in the iwata brand since i here they are pretty much top of the line. I came across the iwata neo CN gravity feed dual action airbrush. It seems to be pretty good and almost the same as the br. I was just wondering if anyone else has used this brush and had success with it. I was also looking at getting a couple of the harbor freight brushes for spraying glitter and clear coat and was wondering if anyone else has done this. I will post the link to the iwata below

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/neo-cn-gravity-feed-dual-action-airbrush-395327/

Also on compressors i was looking at 2 different ones and i really dont know the difference between them so i was hoping yall would take a look at these to links for me and see if you could see tell me if there would be a difference in performance and which of the ones yall would prefer. Heres the 2 links.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html

Please and thanks to all of yall on TU for yalls great input

from what i understand the "neo" line of airbrushes are chinese made and basicly disposble since there is not much available for parts. My reccomedation if you can afford it upgrade to a eclipse line or similar. Id check also at coastairbrush.com too for the airbrush. I dont know if they have any currently but they sell the eclipse CS's they use once in their classes and then fully clean and repair/rebuild to like new for a really good price, but it is a limited supply. If you go to hobby lobby, be sure to have (or pull up if you have a smartphone) the 40% off coupon.

As far as compressors you would also be better served with a small pancake or other small general purpose compressor for construction and such. They offer much more versitily for the future with more air volume and pressure available, as well as other uses around the house, like flat tires and i use mine to blow the dust out of the dry filter on my shopvac to keep it in service longer.

Just my $.02, but i always try to get the best i can afford with in reason if its something i plan to use alot or for a long time. I thnk most on here who have used the eclipse brushes will agree that its hard to outgrow them, no matter your skill set.

X2 what junyer says.  I don't doubt any airbrush from Iwata is good quality but it gives me pause that the Neo's are made in China versus Japan like all other Iwatas.  I like my Revolution BR because it has a .3mm tip which is large enough to shoot just about any airbrush paint but small enough to do some detail work as well.  I think the Eclipse is more expensive and has a 3.5mm tip.  Still a great brush, but JMHO, I don't see a qualitative difference for the difference in price.

I've used small air-on-demand airbrush compressors and larger tool compressors with air tanks.  You definitely get more bang for your buck with tool compressors.  Right now I'm using a Porter Cable 135 psi model with a 6 gal air tank.  The larger the tank the less the compressor has to run.  I'd be happy with anything 4 gals or larger.  Yes, tool compressors are quite loud.  But the small airbrush compressors are not so quiet that you would want to be running one in the house with your family asleep upstairs.  And the small compressors tend to pulse out their air, while the tool compressors buffer the pulsing through the air tank

Thanks for yalls opinion. I went ahead and got the NEO from hobby lobby today. I'm on a budget at the moment and i got it for $41 so i aint complaining. Figured something to start with it should be fine. I have compressors for things around the house but the are all huge so I'm just going to get that little one for like $64 for airbrushing in the house. Thanks for yalls opinions though I greatly appreciate it. I do hope to get a Iwata revolution BR in the future though!

• Like 1

Hey man,google tpc global (aka airbrush depot) They have every thing from air brushes, compressors, paint. They even have package

deals. I have purchased Masters brand airbrush and I love it. It came with three different size tips and needles. It has a built in air valve for fine tuning and also has a paint flow control which is great for free handing dots. I originally bought a badger from michael's for about

100.00 bucks it was great but I wanted that fine line detail so I got the masters for around 40.00 bucks and it is equally great. NO slpatter with either one. I went through great lengths to get that hair line detail down then I found out every body uses stencils to paint most everything lol.  :rolleyes:

I'd use one of the huge compressors. The less your compressor has to fire up, the better. I think mine is 30 gallon. It sits in the fruit cellar behind a closed door. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the door, feed your hose through and you can sit and work in quiet. Minimizes wife aggro and no constant buzz of a small airbrush compressor. Take the $64 one back and use the $$ on the higher quality brush! $105 should get you the .35 mm Iwata Eclipse BC-CS. I researched the NEO's a couple weeks ago to see about having a cheap but decent 2nd brush. Everything I read says they're junk that breaks easily.

Edited by bsgorilla
  • Like 1

just clean out a small corner of the bldg to work in and keep that area clean then. You can run a hose from the large compressor to where you want to work at and then just add a 2nd dryer and regulator there at the work station. That way you have plenty of good, dry air and can make adjustments to the air pressure quickly at arms reach. I think most all of us seem to end up finding a small area to keep set up just for painting.

My real consern though is there is no temperature control. If it gets down to like 10 degrees that night that's what it stays at pretty much all day. Lol. My other thing is the security of it I don't feel is real good for having stuff like this in. I don't want anything happening to it you know.

If there was any way to use your existing compressors I would do so and add the money you were going to spend on a smaller compressor to my airbrush fund. Like you, I tried going with some cheaper airbrushes when I first started and ended up kicking myself in the butt for not getting a higher quality airbrush to start with.

Just my :twocents:

Ben

with it that cold the paint may now keep well anyway so painting out there is out. I would still look at trying to use the compressors you hve available already though. Depending on the distance from the house you can run either some extra hoses or even SCH40 PVC pipe and then a hose. Either one can probably be done cheaper than a new small compressor.

Im not saying dont get a new compressor, but id try to use what i already have available and paid for first as maybe a cheaper alternative.

• Like 1

I wish I could. With the temp the shop is in the middle of the woods under basicly a canopy of trees and I live basicly in a hole. Its usually like 10 degrees cooler down here than the end of the driveway at the top of the hill. I think I'm going to do it in my grandmaws basement for now that also has a garage door until I get my own place. Can't wait till I graduate! Being 19 and stuck sucks lol

Airbrush:

I use a Paasche talon airbrush.

Epoxy

I always buy Devcon 2 ton epoxy (off ebay)

Flakes/Glitter
I will use the flakes from Caneycreekmolds.com (http://www.caneycreekmolds.com/High-Heat-Hex-Glitter-008_p_374.html). They are for soft plastics but they will work on crankbaits. I do not shoot the epoxy or flakes. I simply mix the epoxy on a paper plate and add in the flakes then brush that on the crank bait.

After that I will use my Rod turner that I bought from Mudhole.com with some round polyethylene foam duct taped to it and leave the crankbait rotating overnight until the epoxy levels out and dries.

Compressor

For the compressor I went to home depot and bought a 100psi tank with a generator on top.

from what i understand the "neo" line of airbrushes are chinese made and basicly disposble since there is not much available for parts.

I have a NEO. If you have enough money buy a better one. It works ok most of the time, but can act up every now and then. Printing out the 40% coupon from hobby lobby is the only way to go. It makes buying paint affordable too. Michaels has printable coupons too, I've seen them up to 50% off. The neo will work fine for starters if it's all you can afford and you will still have a great time painting your own baits, I know.

Edited by shakyhead