Jdeee

Can Etex Be Put On Top Of Solarez ?

Jdeee,

If you're concerned about how your lure looks when it's sitting on a table top on display, I understand.

If you're worried about a high gloss effect in the water, all lures look glossy when they're wet.

Are you sure you want to go to the trouble?

My baits come out glossy with Solarez.

How are you curing your Solarez?

Jdeee,

If you're concerned about how your lure looks when it's sitting on a table top on display, I understand.

If you're worried about a high gloss effect in the water, all lures look glossy when they're wet.

Are you sure you want to go to the trouble?

My baits come out glossy with Solarez.

How are you curing your Solarez?

Mark

I have been using Etex so far and I really like the finish and want to keep it that way, but it would be really nice to be able to do the first couple of coats fast with solarez and then only have to wait for the final top coat (Etex ) to dry. I don't mind going through the extra step and was wondering if anyone had tried this to see if the two products work well together or if there is a reaction that is not worth bothering with it ?

I have not purchased Solarez yet, but from what I see it is still drys with a bit of a haze to it and I wonder if a final coat of Etex would fix that?

Edited by Jdeee

I don't think the haze will go away since it is a deposit on the surface of the Solarez, not a haze caused by microscopic sanding scratches in the clearcoat - but you can remove the surface haze by lightly sanding the lure.  I used Solarez on a very dark color lure last week and got lots of haze.  I wet sanded the lure and applied a coat of moisture cured urethane, problem fixed.  I'm sure a coat of Etex would serve the same purpose and no, I don't think there would be any chemical reaction.

I understand how a quick Solarez coating, sanding, and then one coat of Etex would be much faster than multiple coats of Etex.  But to me, it's not a very elegant solution.  Like a lot of guys, I think a high gloss finish looks nice - but I'm not willing to jump through many hoops to get one because I'm pretty sure the fish don't care.  Using only Solarez and getting a haze-free satin finish would be acceptable to me.  When I figure out the reliable way to do that, I'll be happy.