RiverMan

Photo Finish Glue

I have been using a spray adhesive and regular ole Elmers to secure photo shots to the lures and not happy with either of them. Neither of these products produces a permanent bond and this concerns me. I could of course use epoxy to secure it but that's too much work. Wondering if any of you have suggestions.

Thx.

Jed

When I say "permanent" Coley I mean I don't want the stencil to pull loose from the wood once I glue it. The clearcoat is only as good as the layer underneath it. If the paint or photo finish isn't secured completely then the clearcoat will not be secured either...follow me? Is Titebond a trade name like Elmers? I don't recall seeing the stuff. Is it similar to say Gorilla glue?

Ken,

Is it just me or do I detect some kind of "bond" between you and Coley? lol.

jed

Hey Jed,

Maybe I'm missing something here.....Why don't you print your copies of fish onto decal paper?....(like the stuff they put decals on models etc)It's thin,lays over countours well,and when dry stays put.

I haven't tried any photo finish lures yet( I want to,but haven't gotten to it yet!!)but have used decal paper for logos on lures and it works great!!..Nathan

Ken, stay out of this!! :D

Titebond is about the same as elmers wood glue.

It sands nice and makes it easy to feather the edges.

OK, after you glue your foto onto the wood, before

any painting is done, give the entire bait a coat

of Devcon 2 Ton. Then sand it down, do your painting

and then another coat of Devcon 2 Ton. This is as

much protection as you can get. The beauty of this

is, if you screw up your paint job, you can wash it

off and start over. Anything that gets through two

coats of Devcon 2 Ton is going to damage the bait

beyond use anyway.

Ken is trying to keep the Civil War going. :P

Coley

Ive had recent success with the decal paper, its surprisingly easy to apply.

Nathan sent me a bait with my logo on it & I had to try it, it works pretty good.

I made some personal baits with my favorite sports logos on them & only had one mess up out of a couple dozen baits.

if you go with glue, stay away from the gorilla glue you mentioned.

its a great adhesive, but it "foams" & expands, not a good idea for appearance.

good luck!

I tried it once with the decal paper. That thing slides all over the place and I found it dificult to get around the edges smooth...they tended to wrinkle in places. Should I cut small V's into the edges?

I also found the Krylon "Workable Fixatif|1306" at Wal Mart. Mircro Mark sells it for a higher price and their number is "1306A", so I don't know if there's a difference in it or not...but this stuff worked just fine.

Probably just need more experience with it.

I also found the Krylon "Workable Fixatif|1306" at Wal Mart.

is this material flexible? eg. stretchable?

can you run it thru a printer?

I agree that the decal film will wrinkle over curved shapes (like most films eg; foil, tapes etc.)

a good tip is to use 2 decals, 1 for each side & blend your decal with paint at the back.

Coley,

Your description is EXACTLY what I have been doing, to the tee. I have made several dozen baits in this way. The other day tho I decided to pull on the paper stencil once the glue had dried, bad idea,....it peeled off!!! Now the whole thing has me nervous as I see the clearcoat only being as strong as the bond between the stencil and wood....maybe I am just paranoid.

Jerry, Nathan

What is decal paper? I am assuming this stuff is already sticky, yes?

Jed

Tally,

all the decal paper on that website is water slide decals.

Jed,

There is a thin urethane film on 1 side of the decal paper. It comes in clear or white. When it comes out of your printer you seal it with a clear coat of krylon clear to lock the colors in. When thats dry cut out the decal and soak it in water until it loosens from the decal paper. The decal will slide off the paper on to the lure.

Tight lines,

Shawn