Chip

Hey all You Photo Finish Folks

Yall are making this time consuming with all the steps to prep the lure, glue the image... etc....

I have been making these lures for a couple years.... Use "Water Slide Decal Paper"

You can run it through an ink jet, laser, etc..... Just wet them, slide them on and in two minutes, you can coat with your favorite top coat....

I prefer Envirotex.

I have made a least 200 of these baits with no failures (Using Envirotex)

Here is a link:

http://www.kustomrides.com/decalsupplies.htm

Search around.. you can find bulk packages cheap....

Yall Take Care!

Chip :wink: [/url]

I tried the Decal paper and didn't care for it.

Different strokes for different folks.

I got "wrinkle city" on the edges with the Decal paper, when trying to straighten it out it then folded "under", tried to straighten that out, wrinkles again. :( I had NO problems at all with the photo paper...and it's way less expensive and easier to work with.

Time isn't a factor, my goals are quality craftsmanship.

Different strokes for different folks

I agree Terry..you make a good bait from what I have heard from others in the web circles.... and I really enjoyed the photos of your new lures

:wink: Quality is also of upmost importance to me.....:?

I dont get them, but regarding the wrinkles.....after the decal has dried, some 400 grit paper will sand them off the edges.

Have a good one friend!

Take Care!

Chip B)

I have done four baits now ranging from a Bandit 200, to Poe?s RC baits, to my first D replica.

I am using regular printer paper on all of them and it has worked out fine on all of them.

I use paste glue and apply the glue to the bait and the paper. I use a hobby knife and any place the paper doesn?t lay down I cut a slit out to the edge and press it down. I then apply a coat of devcon and let dry. Go over it with 320 grit sand paper and apply the paint to the belly and the back, sign it and coat with Devcon again?

I am wanting to try this but the comment about having problems with getting the stuff to lay flat concerns me......anyone doing this now?

Jed

I picked up some everyday tracing paper which is lighter than copier paper ' date=' so it hugs the plug a bit better. You have to be a bit more cautious when burnishing it but conversely, it needs much less "working in." I also use a standard glue stick and once it has [b']FULLY[/b] set, spray the plug with a coat of clear Krylon Lacquer.

You can and should cheat a bit by painting the base colors of the plug first.

Thanks,

The process that Maddox outlined is the one I have been using for quite some time. I was interested in trying the decal material as it would allow a person to use metallic colors underneath the stencil. It's difficult to get a true "metallic" shine like you see on a shiner, dace, etc., from a piece of paper. Where's Artbrush when you need him?

Jed

Riverman,

I will be trying the clear decal paper soon myself. I was thinking about using smooth foil and pearl white and then applying the decal over it for a more realistic look.

I think the clear decal paper can be shrunk to some extent so with some practice you can probably form the decal to the bait wile it is still wet and reduce the wrinkles at least that is what I am hoping for. If there are any high spots left they can then be knocked down with the sand paper. It should make a really good looking photo finish bait.

Jed, the concepts we spoke of on the phone have yeilded great results. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner but work has me jumpin thru hoops... 2 of which are on fire. 7 inch baits do take up alot of space. I've gotten 2 1/2 decal sets out of an 8.5 x 11 sheet for 7 inch lures. The decals work out to 20 cents per decal. That's not alot for such a large lure. My craw decals fit 10 sets per 8.5 x 11 and come out to 5 cents per decal. The results are amazing.

Maddox, to get a realistic shimmer over the foil try a color change paint as it is very translucent and will allow the foil to shine thru. I found that using a thin layer of pearl white only covered the foil and reduced the shimmer greatly. there wont be any edges sticking up if you use water slide.

There are also products you can buy to make the decal application easier. They have decal softeners you add to the water to help wrap and stretch. I don't have the names handy but when you use them they make the decal melt onto the lure. I use a sponge tip applicator to place the decal and work the edges down.

It is in no way a fast production hand foiling a lure. The foil,... then a thin layer of devcon to seal the bait before painting & decaling. Tho they look like they come from a high production level they are still every bit handcrafted as a stenciled lure. Also... IMHO it doesn't replace stencils as stenciling maintains that classic traditional look.

Tight lines,

Shawn