bigbrown

Problems with action!!

You might also try attaching the skin to a larger bait, from my experience smaller baits tend to be more squirly...touchy to changes in their shape. As I mentioned before, don't forget to consider using a photo finish on the bait. If you want scent, attach a small piece of velcro to the belly of the bait and fill it with your favorite attractant. You can also incorporate a piece of foam or yarn into the back of the hook and fill it with scent. Just some ideas! Have fun.

Jed

thanks riverman,

those some good ideas, the bait is already a pretty big bait and it matches the size of the chubs in the lake perfectly, but thank you for the bigger bait idea maybe i will try it with a smaller chub so that the fins and tale dont catch as much water and less skin will take less away from the action, thanks again,

bigbrown

thanks skeeter,

that is very true, but i do not know where to put the lip or if i need to make it bigger or smaller? do u have any tips for me on where to place the lip or if it needs to be bigger or smaller? i really would love for this experiment to work out, i am amazed at the way the bait looks after what i did to it, but how it looks doesnt matter unless i can get it to track right. thanks again skeeter,

bigbrown

The fastest way to increase action of a lure is to increase the angle of the lip. If the lip has a 5 degree drop from the center line of the lure, then try 10 degrees. You will not loose much in the line of depth the lure will obtain, but it will take longer for the lure to obtain its maximum depth. Keep droping the lip in 5 deg. intervals untill you get the action that you want. The other way would be to widen the current lip. Most Rapalas have a narrow lip. You could try a lip from a Poes 300 and see if that will do it for you.

Skeeter